Unable to Create Map: Story Map Templates on Portal

08-13-2013 05:53 AM
JohnReynolds2
New Contributor
I've already successfully created a Playlist story map site from template files.  But I can't seem to get the slider, or the map tour playlists configured correctly.  The map ID works, I've used the working map id, I've copied over the sharing service url, and the geometry url.  I've tried it with or without authorized users, with or without titles and subtitles, with or without multiple map ids, and I've made a successful ArcGIS Online slider version with the online story map template.  Any ideas?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Occasional Contributor III
Hi John,

I am not sure if you are trying to use Map Tour or Playlist template?
On a Portal, to be able to use the Map Tour interactive builder, you need a special version (please contact us at storymaps@esri.com) but the viewer part should works.

Anyway if it's Map Tour or Playlist please describe more or include a screenshot of the error.
0 Kudos
JohnReynolds2
New Contributor
I have successfully created a Playlist story map.  I have unsuccessfully created a Map Tour story map.  I already received the portal-friendly files, and those didn't work, either.  I'll keep you updated.  I've got a screen share session with an employee today sometime.  However, I removed the Map Tour files, and replaced them with Slider story map template files.  But I'm getting the same generic "Can't load map" error.
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Ok, let us know.  As that version isn't publicly available it may be less confusing to deal with your issue by email (glazou AT esri).
Other customer have successfully deployed it. You should just have to edit the sharing URL in index.html.
Send us screenshot and if possible the web developer console output (in most browser hit F12 and navigate to a console tab)
0 Kudos
JosephJose
New Contributor III

error.GIF

I have also created a Story Map tour in ArcGIS online.

Randomly (say 1/10) it fails to load giving the message "An error has occurred. Unable to create map". Attached screenshot.

Any pointers to the same?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Do you also have trouble opening the webmap associated with your Map Tour in the Portal Map Viewer?

0 Kudos
JosephJose
New Contributor III

There are no problems opening the webmap.

Is there an option to increase the timeout for loading the map?

My contend is is multiple places like Flickr, plus ArcGIS online implemented as a hybrid model. Will that be a problem?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

Ok, strange it must be app related then.

Yes you can increase the timeout in

ArcGIS\Portal\webapps\arcgis#home\webmap\templates\MapTour\app\maptour-config.js

See TIMEOUT_VIEWER_LOAD line 40

Mixing data source is fine.

0 Kudos
JosephJose
New Contributor III

Thanks for that.

Mine is a web map converted to a story map directly on ArcGISOnline.

Is there an equivalent option there as in the portal you mentioned?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou

oh ok.

No you would have to download the template and host it yourself Esri/map-tour-storytelling-template-js · GitHub

If the webmap open correctly the app should also open correctly.

Let me know if increasing the timeout help.

0 Kudos