Select to view content in your preferred language

Tableau and Chrome not working?

06-05-2018 02:17 PM
KateNewell1
Occasional Contributor II

I'm wondering if anyone using embedded Tableau (Public) storys/dashboards in their story maps has noticed issues in Chrome today?
I know Tableau server was down for maintenance yesterday and now my Tableau story is not functioning in Chrome. Works fine in IE, but has lost all interaction when viewing in Chrome. No tool tips, no ability to move between dashboards in the Tableau story

www.cob.org/housingstats

0 Kudos
13 Replies
KateNewell1

So far, seems to be only happening with those that are on version 67 of Chrome (myself included).

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kate -- I'm on Chrome 67.0.3396.62 and I also see the issue you describe. The chart interactivity is not there.

I tested your story on the developer version of Chrome and the interactivity is back, so hopefully they will roll out an update soon that fixes this browser issue.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
KateNewell1

Thanks for checking that Owen.  I submitted a comment/issue to Chrome and they are now aware of the issue and looking into it. I can send you the thread if you are interested in what they think is going on...most of the jargon is well above my understanding of websites  But they are on it, so hopefully resolved soon.

Thanks!

-Kate

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Yes, please post that Chrome thread here or DM it to me. thx!

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Here is the latest update from Chrome. I am going to test putting the graph in an immersive section to see if that works, as other story maps with Tableau graphs in immersive sections seem to work.

This amounts to a special case of the problem discussed in issue 647378.

On MouseDown the browser locks input to the renderer process with content currently under the cursor, because of cases where you are dragging an iframe's scrollbar and the mouse leaves the iframe boundary, where we want the drag to continue uninterrupted. That logic is too coarse though, creating bugs like this, which we hadn't anticipated.

Bug 647378 is not something we can address immediately. There is planned work on the Blink side to remove the notion of implicit mouse capture there, which would help a lot.

A short term fix that might work would be to continue enabling capture on mousedown, but keep hit testing the original mouse down position on subsequent events. The capture would be immediately released if the original position results in targeting a different frame. There are going to be problems with that approach also but it at least could potentially resolve use cases that we know about until we can fix the problem more generally.

0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Looks like other issues popping up with Chrome 67 and portal/geoevent manager:

https://community.esri.com/thread/215947-geoevent-manager-not-coming-up-in-chrome 

0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Also having issues with another portion of the storymap that is using an embedded image slider/carousel (created through Wowslider app).  In the "Infill Housing" section at the end of the story map, the image slide does not work in Chrome.  This is all specific to Chrome 67, but looks like not just specific to it's functionality with Tableau, but possibly any other embedded apps?

Here is another story map with embedded apps (Infogram app) that is not functioning as expected in the side panel: 

http://bluewatergis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=5f1e62621fbb4241b1b58424f704039...
0 Kudos
KateNewell1

Also, the tableau graph is inserted as media in the story map and referenced via a url:

Workbook: Single 

The url on its own in works in chrome, just not embedded in the story map (on Chrome version 67)

0 Kudos
KateNewell1

This story map uses tableau graphs in an immersive section and works for me on first load of the section in Chrome 67

https://awcnet.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=c6ce694c116d44ddb2a40ab39e34b3ca 

0 Kudos