Support for Basemap in different Projection

Jump to solution
10-12-2016 01:35 PM
KieranO_Donnell2
New Contributor II

Does ESRI's Story Map Tour support the use of basemaps in a different projection?

In my organisation all of our basemaps are using New Zealand Transverse Mercator (EPSG 2193)

I've tried changing the basemap via the builder interface using our Basemap Gallery, but nothing changes. I have also tried to change it by editing the Web Map the story map generates. Either nothing happens, or it returns with 'Basemap Not Responding'.

This makes me think the projection is causing the issue, as I can change the web map to anything else in Web Mercator.

Thanks,
Kieran

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for the additional info. I also found some issues trying to create a Map Tour using those basemaps. For example, if I have one of your basemaps in my organization's basemap gallery and try to switch to it in the Map Tour builder nothing happens, or if I try to create a tour from a web map using one of your basemaps from the arcgis.com map viewer > Share > Create a web map the resulting tour doesn't show a basemap at all.

I'll have to investigate a bit more to see if I can figure out what's going on, but I did find a workflow that you can use:

1. Create a new Map Tour from scratch from the story maps website using one of the standard ArcGIS basemaps (like topo or streets).
  2. Add at least one tour point in the builder and save your story.
  3. Go to My Content and find the web map that is used in your Map Tour (it will have the same name).
  4. Open the web map, change the basemap to one of your custom basemaps, and save the web map.
  5. Reload your tour in builder mode. Your basemap and tour points will be there.
  6. Continue adding tour points until your tour is complete.

Here's a tour I created with one of your basemaps: http://arcg.is/2ekbPQR 

Let me know if this works for you.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kieran,

Sorry you are having an issue with your story map. Map Tour should support basemaps in any projection, and I just tested with a few different projections to be sure.

That message in your screenshot usually indicates that basemap is in accessible over the network. Could you share the URL of the basemap you are trying to use so I can take a look?

Owen

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
KieranO_Donnell2
New Contributor II

Hi Owen,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I've tried a couple of different basemaps our organisation uses.
Illustrated (MapServer)  

Street (MapServer)  

Aerial (MapServer) 

We reference these basemaps in plenty of public Web Maps and Apps and have never had any issues with their accessibility

The only other thing I can think of is that we Cache these maps at different scales than ESRI's basemaps.

Thanks,
Kieran

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kieran,

Thanks for the additional info. I also found some issues trying to create a Map Tour using those basemaps. For example, if I have one of your basemaps in my organization's basemap gallery and try to switch to it in the Map Tour builder nothing happens, or if I try to create a tour from a web map using one of your basemaps from the arcgis.com map viewer > Share > Create a web map the resulting tour doesn't show a basemap at all.

I'll have to investigate a bit more to see if I can figure out what's going on, but I did find a workflow that you can use:

1. Create a new Map Tour from scratch from the story maps website using one of the standard ArcGIS basemaps (like topo or streets).
  2. Add at least one tour point in the builder and save your story.
  3. Go to My Content and find the web map that is used in your Map Tour (it will have the same name).
  4. Open the web map, change the basemap to one of your custom basemaps, and save the web map.
  5. Reload your tour in builder mode. Your basemap and tour points will be there.
  6. Continue adding tour points until your tour is complete.

Here's a tour I created with one of your basemaps: http://arcg.is/2ekbPQR 

Let me know if this works for you.

Owen

Owen Evans