Story Map Shortlist: showing all places on a tab with different colors

01-31-2018 07:18 AM
CindyKamigaki
New Contributor

Hi, I'm using the shortlist storymap for art in public places.  I've broken the art out into categories and created individual tabs for each category.  I would like to have a tab the encompasses all the art work and identifies them with their unique individual tab color, so those that visit the map can get an overview of all the art and visually see the breakdown in one tab.  Is there a way to do this or can it please be considered?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
26 Replies
NathanHeickLACSD
Regular Contributor

Good Morning Rocio,

I am a little rusty with the Shortlist story map since I have not touched the app for a while.  Also, I forgot the experience of loading the data in with a CSV file.  However, I think I could probably figure out the issue if I had your CSV file.  Could you post that?  Each tab has a tab_id and I believe they start with 0.  The tab order follows the tab_id numbering.

Thanks,

Nathan

0 Kudos
rocioveloz
New Contributor III

Hi, Nathan. I appreciate your response and help. I am using the 'as-is' option obviously, which according to the included ReadMe, requires a specific template with specific fieldNames. One of the required fields is TAB_NAME, which is what the shortlist builder uses to create the tab names."TAB_NAME - the name of the tab the place will be displayed in. The Shortlist will create a tab for each unique value of this field, in the order in which the values occur in your data. A TAB_NAME field still has to be present and populated even if your Shortlist will only have one tab. If your Shortlist only has one tab, the tab name you include in this field does not appear to your end users. If the value of this field is blank for any place, that place will not be displayed if you create your Shortlist with the 'as-is' authoring option, so you can leave the field blank to temporarily hide a place."

the ReadMe also states: "The value of PLACENUMSL has no effect on the order of the tabs in your Shortlist:Tab order is determined solely by record order".

while i do include a PLACENUMSL field in my csv, i have the numbering option turned off in the settings. click here for csv

i hope you can see my file from that link. not sure how to attach it here.

0 Kudos
NathanHeickLACSD
Regular Contributor

I would have to look at it after work.  However, have you tried to edit the application itself?  You should be able to click on the Organize Tabs button and drag the tabs up and down to change the order.  From the item page, click on Configure App.  When the Builder opens up, click on Organize Tabs.

0 Kudos
rocioveloz
New Contributor III

Nathan, the 'as-is' option doesnt allow for much modification. The only edit it allows for the Tabs is to change the TabColor. All the data is grabbed from the csv.

0 Kudos
NathanHeickLACSD
Regular Contributor

Hi Rocio,

I was able to get it working by adding the CSV to a new web map and then sharing the new web map as a Shortlist Story Map.  Then, I used the import option which copies the data from the web map you created into a new web map.  It gives you the chance to map your field names to the ones used by the Shortlist story map.  Also, it lets you modify the data and change the tabs from the Builder app.  It even put the All tab at the end automatically.

However, the performance is pretty slow.  You have a lot of points and the URLs need work.  It might work better with more tabs with less points on each tab.  I am not sure.  Also, your THUMB_URL field in the CSV is misspelled as THUM_URL.  It won't matter with the import tool, though.

0 Kudos
rocioveloz
New Contributor III

yes, thank you Nathan! I followed the steps you described to create a new shortlist and although it still placed the ALL tab in the middle, the builder did give me the option to ORGANIZE TABS this time. I will make sure the thumb field name is corrected for the updated list of projects and i will use this procedure to create a whole new story map shortlist. 

0 Kudos
NathanHeickLACSD
Regular Contributor

You're welcome!

0 Kudos