Select to view content in your preferred language

Map Overlay

Jump to solution
10-14-2015 01:44 PM
Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

I recently attended a Google Earth Map workshop.  While my decision was to stay with ESRI, they did have a feature that I liked.  We were able to overlay a historical map with the Google Earth map.  I am wondering if there is a similar technique in ArcGIS Online, or if I can save a shape file from Google and import it into my tabbed series map. 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

Judi

So georectification is the process of taking an image or in your case a historical map and aligning it in a map of the same area.  This process is performed in ArcMap where you are matching known points (street intersections are commonly used) between the image and your data in ArcMap.  The image is then rectified or correctly positioned on the map allowing you to mashup it up with other data or basemaps.

Here is the link to the section on georectification in the ArcMap Desktop Help

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

One way to tell if your image is already georectified is to add it to ArcMap (via add data assuming it is an image file) and then adding a Basemap.  If the image lines up with the Basemap you are ready to publish it as a tile layer.  If it does not line up you will need to go through the process outlined above.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Kyle

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP

If you have a georectified image you can simply published it as a Tile Layer to ArcGIS Online and then add it to a web map being used in the Tabbed Series Story Map.

Kyle

Yavapai-ApacheNation
New Contributor II

Sounds hopeful. I don't know what a georectifiec image is. Is it a screen shot form the map… or do I export a shape file… or?

Judie Piner

Preservation & Technology

Yavapai-Apache Nation

0 Kudos
KyleBalke__GISP

Judi

So georectification is the process of taking an image or in your case a historical map and aligning it in a map of the same area.  This process is performed in ArcMap where you are matching known points (street intersections are commonly used) between the image and your data in ArcMap.  The image is then rectified or correctly positioned on the map allowing you to mashup it up with other data or basemaps.

Here is the link to the section on georectification in the ArcMap Desktop Help

ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

One way to tell if your image is already georectified is to add it to ArcMap (via add data assuming it is an image file) and then adding a Basemap.  If the image lines up with the Basemap you are ready to publish it as a tile layer.  If it does not line up you will need to go through the process outlined above.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Kyle