Select to view content in your preferred language

main stage popup won't open after updating the layer

07-13-2015 02:23 PM
JackLloyd
New Contributor

I've added main stage actions (location and popup) to point and polygon features in my map journal. If I update the feature layer from a ZIP file, the popups won't automatically open anymore. The location still works i.e. zooms to the saved location but the popup doesn't open. Am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Sorry but I don't know how to help more.

I am also keeping track of this issue on GitHub Choose what field is used to save popup state · Issue #41 · Esri/map-journal-storytelling-template-j... hopefully one day someone will have a solution!

0 Kudos
JackLloyd
New Contributor

Gregory - This has been driving me crazy so I decided to do some testing. I created a new feature service from a Shape file and also a map and corresponding Map Journal. I setup some main stage actions for the zoom to location and open popup on 4 features. I then took a copy of the Shape file and opened it in ArcMap and made a simple change so it would be updated. I then compared the FIDs to the original Shape file and they were all identical in both Shape files. I created a new ZIP file with the same name and recreated the feature service with it. When I open the "map" the popups all work correctly. When I open the Map Journal that's referencing the map and click on a "location" link, they zoom to different locations now but the popups open. I'm really starting to think that the Map Journal doesn't use the FID for this functionality. It must be using something else... It there a way to get some help or more information from the ESRI developers on how the Map Location and Popups are tied to the underlying map and it's features?

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Sorry to hear.

Can you share a link to your Journal? I suspect that this time, the FID must not be used, maybe ArcGIS created another ID for you this time...

0 Kudos
JackLloyd
New Contributor

Still doing some testing but now I’m starting to believe the problem may be with the FIDs. When I create a feature service on AGOL from the Shape file, I’m thinking it’s updating the FIDs so they end up being different than the source Shape file. When I make changes to the source Shape file and even if the FIDs don’t change in it, when I recreate the feature service on AGOL the FIDs are likely going to be generated again which breaks the link that was established in the Map Journal. This is really too bad because the popups are critical in delivering the key information related to the features. And, unfortunately the source layer is fairly dynamic so it changes occasionally.

Jack Lloyd

Manager – Shared Content Platforms

Pima County Information Technology Department

201 N. Stone Ave, 9th Floor

Tucson, AZ 85701

Phone: 520-724-6689

0 Kudos