Landing page template for externally hosted story maps

Jump to solution
02-07-2015 04:09 PM
RobertoDeDeus
New Contributor II

I am working on a few story maps. They will be hosted externally on an Apache server. What are some good options for a landing page which could display a mix of story maps, web maps, and web apps.

I am looking for something like the public gallery template (http://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=34505d89a3b34be09b65b98938974390).

The only problem with that is that it seems to only show things that are hosted on AGO and I am not finding any options for adding story maps which are hosted through a web server service like godaddy.

What was your solution to showing off your various story maps?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertoDeDeus
New Contributor II

I ended up finding a way to accomplish this. Within ArcGIS online you add an external application. These applications can then be viewed within the Public Gallery.

You can accomplish this by going to My Content > Add Item > An Application > Fill out the information appropriately.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BrandonKeinath1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Roberto,

We created custom pages on our intranet.  We too host our story maps on our internal ArcGIS server and found a simple html page to be the most effective advertising.  I suspect if you really like the gallery landing page you could deploy the content internally.  ESRI technical support may be able to help.

Best,

Brandon

RobertoDeDeus
New Contributor II

I ended up finding a way to accomplish this. Within ArcGIS online you add an external application. These applications can then be viewed within the Public Gallery.

You can accomplish this by going to My Content > Add Item > An Application > Fill out the information appropriately.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

That's correct. in ArcGIS Online My Content choose Add Item > An Application, and use the default Web Mapping option. Enter the URL to your self-hosted app, the app title and tags. It really helps if you add 'story map' and the name of the app you used 'map tour', 'shortlist', etc into the tags field so people can find it if they search for examples. Then press Add Item and you'll have a web mapping application item representing your self-hosted app. Upload a nice looking thumbnail, add any other descriptive text, then share it.

Adding web mapping application items manually into ArcGIS Online enables your self-hosted story maps to  be discovered when people search ArcGIS Online and to be added into galleries. For example all the self-hosted examples in the Story Maps gallery have web mapping application items created for them, which is how we were able to add them into that gallery, the featured story maps on the Story Maps home page, and into the gallery on the ArcGIS Online website.

Note: web mapping application items you add into ArcGIS Online manually don't show up in the My Stories tab on the Story Maps website. My Stories only shows you your hosted story maps in ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Online of course automatically generates web mapping applicatin items for all your hosted story maps.

0 Kudos