Select to view content in your preferred language

How to use images shared privately in Story Map

Jump to solution
11-17-2015 12:47 PM
BrianHiller
Occasional Contributor

Is it possible to use images in a story map that are shared privately?

I would like to create a story map that is shared to a specific group, but I don't want the images I load into the story map to be publicly available on the web.

Is this possible? I've tried uploading images as hosted items in ArcGIS Online, then sharing those items with a group that the users of the storymap are members of, but I'm getting mixed results.

Brian

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

It is possible with Map Tour but not with the other applications yet. We are working on modifying such a capability for the March or July 2016 release.

When you add images as an item in Online you can only get the link to incorporate them in a story when they the item is shared publicly. The link that you get when the image item is not public expire after a delay (6 hours I think) so it is not safe to include in a story.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

It is possible with Map Tour but not with the other applications yet. We are working on modifying such a capability for the March or July 2016 release.

When you add images as an item in Online you can only get the link to incorporate them in a story when they the item is shared publicly. The link that you get when the image item is not public expire after a delay (6 hours I think) so it is not safe to include in a story.

0 Kudos
BrianHiller
Occasional Contributor

I hoped that wasn't the answer, but that's what I thought I was seeing. I tried creating a "dummy" map tour, adding images to it and then getting the URL from there to add into a Map Journal. I hoped there would be another way to do this.

Looking forward to the capability in a future release. It would be nice to either upload images directly, or be able to save credentials into one of the options for sharing images.

0 Kudos
SRJS4
by
New Contributor III

Hi Gregory,

I am trying to add an image of a screen shot in a section within the Map Journal, linked to the text on the side panel, so when you click on that, the image appears on the main stage, is it possible to do that? 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Saloni,

I think you are trying to create what we call a "Main Stage Action." Please read this blog and I think you'll be able to create the experience you want in your story.

Using Story Map Journal Main Stage Actions | ArcGIS Blog 

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
SRJS4
by
New Contributor III

Yes it looks like exactly what I am trying to do! Thank you so much for your quick response. 

0 Kudos