Select to view content in your preferred language

How to update point location on Story Maps Tour?

05-06-2015 01:48 PM
ErikaJenns
Deactivated User

Hello,

Is it possible to update the location of points already plotted on a Story Maps Tour without dragging and dropping the points to their new locations? I created a new map layer and added it to my Story Map Tour, but the old points do not correspond to the new points.

I also had some trouble with my changes to my Story Map Tour not saving. After dragging my old points to the locations of the points in the new map layer and clicking save after each move, I lost all of my changes.

Any suggestions and tips would be appreciated!

Thank you,

Erika

0 Kudos
4 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User

Hi,

Regarding your first question, as you notice the Map Tour is creating a layer in your webmap. If you want to change the location, you can edit that layer from the Map Tour Builder or other product like the Map Viewer or Pro. It is not possible to automatically reuse another the location to update the location of the first layer without any coding, that is probably quite easy to do in Pro. You will have to do it manually.

Sorry about your second issue. That should definitely not happen. Is that something that you can reproduce? If you remove that new layer does it also happen?

What I would recommend as a workaround is that you do those updates through the Map Viewer in ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
ErikaJenns
Deactivated User

Hello,

I have a few follow up questions. I created my Map Tour layer in the map

builder by clicking on locations in the map, rather than using specific

coordinates. But now, I want to update the map to include specific

coordinates. Can I add coordinates to the existing points in the Map Tour

layer? I don't want to lose the images and text associated with each point

on the Map Tour. I have a secondary layer that includes the correct

coordinates (but not the images or text). Can I use that layer and transfer

the images and text associated with my Map Tour layer? Is there anyway to

blend the two layers?

Thank you,

Erika

0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User

Hi,

No as I was saying you can't "blend" two layers. The most simple is that you use Map Viewer or Pro to move the point manually. As far as I know Map Viewer don't allow you to place a point by entering coordinates so you would have to do the placement manually, maybe in ArcGIS Pro?

0 Kudos
MaureenPeniuk1
Emerging Contributor

I am having a problem choosing where I can add a point. I have tried in chrome, IE and Firefox. When I "add a point" I am not getting to choose where the point is added - it gets added somewhere on  the screen. I can not move it. All I can do is change the colour. I can not pan the screen to try and maybe get the place where I want the point to be added situated in the centre of my screen, in the hopes that maybe that will be where it puts the point.  I tried one of the Beta apps and it gave me a cross mark for where the point would be added. But the app is not an app I want to use. So how can I add points to a Story Map Tour? 

0 Kudos