How to embed video in Story Map Journal as a looping autoplay, without any controls?

Jump to solution
04-21-2018 07:22 PM
AlisonDavis-Holland1
New Contributor II

I have tried embedding video using the parameters that remove controls and autoplay with looping. When I use YouTube, it still shows the play button. Any tricks to getting all controls to be invisible? I want it to autoplay and fill the frame wth no controls at all - similar to the appearance in this Cascade story map called Justice Deferred.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GqBt-M43sXk?rel=0&controls=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

HI Allison -- Currently the Story Map Builders do not support URL parameters for video links, but we are considering adding this in an upcoming release. For now, you can follow the procedure outlined in this Geonet thread to add a video with URL parameters.

However, be aware that browsers (currently Chrome and Safari, but others are likely to follow) are blocking videos with sound that are set to autoplay. See this article on the Google Chrome developer site for more info. If the reader doesn't have a history of interacting with content or if they don't interact with your story by clicking on the page before reaching the video (for example, if the video is in the home section of a Journal), the video won't autoplay even if you add that URL parameter.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

10 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

HI Allison -- Currently the Story Map Builders do not support URL parameters for video links, but we are considering adding this in an upcoming release. For now, you can follow the procedure outlined in this Geonet thread to add a video with URL parameters.

However, be aware that browsers (currently Chrome and Safari, but others are likely to follow) are blocking videos with sound that are set to autoplay. See this article on the Google Chrome developer site for more info. If the reader doesn't have a history of interacting with content or if they don't interact with your story by clicking on the page before reaching the video (for example, if the video is in the home section of a Journal), the video won't autoplay even if you add that URL parameter.

Owen Evans
AlisonDavis-Holland1
New Contributor II

Thanks, Owen Evan. So is Justice Deferred using custom code? It is not in the customized list in the gallery, so I thought it was using out-of-the-box functionality. That story map opens with an autoplay video (without audio).

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Alison -- Justice Deferred is a Cascade, which supports autoplaying video. At this time, Cascade is the only Story Map that supports configuring autoplaying videos in the builder. If you'd like to autoplay a video in Journal or Series, you'll need to use the workaround mentioned above.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
AlisonDavis-Holland1
New Contributor II

Ok. Thanks so much.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

davisholland -- I remembered something that will save you some time and effort -- in Journal and Series you don't need to edit the JSON to use this workaround like you do for Cascade. You can simply add the YouTube URL including the extra parameters as a "web page" rather than as a video in the Map Journal Builder.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
AlisonDavis-Holland1
New Contributor II

Yeah, I tried that but it wouldn’t auto play and hide controls even with the URL syntax saying so.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Alison -- Sorry it's still not working for you. As mentioned above, you may have an issue with autoplay because of browser policies, but the controls should hide and other URL params should work as expected.

Can you provide the YouTube URL you are using and a link to your story so I can take a look? You'll need to share your story with Everyone so I can see it.

Here's an example of a YouTube URL that will work if you add it as a "web page" as shown in the screenshot below.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/jPEYpryMp2s?rel=0&showinfo=0&controls=0 

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
AlisonDavis-Holland1
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen Evans‌. I inserted your video (https://www.youtube.com/embed/jPEYpryMp2s?rel=0&showinfo=0&controls=0) multiple ways but it does not autoplay. It shows a play button that you have to click. Is there an option to autoplay in Map Journal?

http://www.arcgis.com/apps/MapJournal/index.html?appid=989fe219cd854113be0e635d161b4f3e&edit=true&fo... 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Alison -- Unfortunately, due to browser autoplay policies, videos may not autoplay even if you add that URL parameter. For example, if the reader has not yet clicked anywhere in the story map, browsers will block videos with sound from autoplaying. See this article for more information.

Owen Evans