how do I save to a flash drive

Jump to solution
12-10-2018 01:30 PM
AnnieHinson
New Contributor

how do I save a story map to a flash drive?

My question relates to my newness with the program.  Can I access the same version of a story map on two separate desktops?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Story Maps, like other apps in ArcGIS Online, are web apps, so they are accessed and stored on the web, i.e. in the cloud. (If you are using ArcGIS Enterprise to create Story Maps or any other web apps, they are stored in a private cloud inside your Enterprise). Either way. you can sign-in and access your Story Maps from any computer, same as you would with gmail or other cloud systems. There's no need to save specific app instances locally to your computer (and in fact there's not a way to do that.)  The data that you add into maps shown in these apps is also stored in the cloud, or managed as part of your organization's Enterprise GIS. There may be some content you add to maps that you want to make backups of. For example I have some Excel spreadsheets that contain point data like places of interest that I upload into the web maps I use in some of my Story Maps. Even though I've uploaded those files into web maps, where they appear as point features, I backup those Excel files locally like my other important files because I put a lot of work into them. Somewhat related to this question, there's not a way to save a web map or app (such as a Story Map) to disk so it can be viewed offline. The closest we have to that is the ability to print a Story Map Cascade or Story Map Journal to a PDF file.

PS. In ArcGIS Online and on the Story Maps website, you'll see an option to download an app. This is referring to the ability to download the source code for an app template so you can host that app on your own web server (for example if you wanted to tweak or change the source code for any reason). This option doesn't download a specific story map instance that you have authored to disk. When people download and self-host the source code for an app template, that template still points at an app instance, and web map(s), in the cloud: it just displays that cloud content via their version of the source code, not the one that is in the cloud.

Hope that helps. 

Rupert

View solution in original post

7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

flash drives should just be used to make backup copies of stuff that you save to a real drive.  They really aren't designed to operate like a local computer drive.

0 Kudos
AnnieHinson
New Contributor

I am new to this program.  A better question would be, if I work on a story map on two separate computers will they contain the same version of the story map?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

ahh

Esri Story Maps - FAQ 

yes

Just use your usb drive to store backups of your content you are using

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Annie,

Are you working with a hosted story map (located in ArcGIS Online) or one that is located on your server (like using Web AppBuilder or some other custom configuration)? If using ArcGIS Online, you should be able to use the same story map from anywhere you log in.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Story Maps, like other apps in ArcGIS Online, are web apps, so they are accessed and stored on the web, i.e. in the cloud. (If you are using ArcGIS Enterprise to create Story Maps or any other web apps, they are stored in a private cloud inside your Enterprise). Either way. you can sign-in and access your Story Maps from any computer, same as you would with gmail or other cloud systems. There's no need to save specific app instances locally to your computer (and in fact there's not a way to do that.)  The data that you add into maps shown in these apps is also stored in the cloud, or managed as part of your organization's Enterprise GIS. There may be some content you add to maps that you want to make backups of. For example I have some Excel spreadsheets that contain point data like places of interest that I upload into the web maps I use in some of my Story Maps. Even though I've uploaded those files into web maps, where they appear as point features, I backup those Excel files locally like my other important files because I put a lot of work into them. Somewhat related to this question, there's not a way to save a web map or app (such as a Story Map) to disk so it can be viewed offline. The closest we have to that is the ability to print a Story Map Cascade or Story Map Journal to a PDF file.

PS. In ArcGIS Online and on the Story Maps website, you'll see an option to download an app. This is referring to the ability to download the source code for an app template so you can host that app on your own web server (for example if you wanted to tweak or change the source code for any reason). This option doesn't download a specific story map instance that you have authored to disk. When people download and self-host the source code for an app template, that template still points at an app instance, and web map(s), in the cloud: it just displays that cloud content via their version of the source code, not the one that is in the cloud.

Hope that helps. 

Rupert

AndresCastillo
MVP Regular Contributor

What a beautiful reply.

Thank you Rupert.

AnnieHinson
New Contributor

Thank you all so much. 

Ruth Ann Hinson

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018, 6:32:49 PM EST, Andres Castillo <geonet@esri.com> wrote:

#yiv0252149170 * #yiv0252149170 a #yiv0252149170 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv0252149170 #yiv0252149170 h1, #yiv0252149170 h2, #yiv0252149170 h3, #yiv0252149170 h4, #yiv0252149170 h5, #yiv0252149170 h6, #yiv0252149170 p, #yiv0252149170 hr {}#yiv0252149170 .yiv0252149170button td {}

|

GeoNet

|

Re: how do I save to a flash drive

reply from Andres Castillo in Story Maps - View the full discussion

What a beautiful reply.

Thank you Rupert.

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on GeoNet

Start a new discussion in Story Maps by email or at GeoNet

Following Re: how do I save to a flash drive in these streams: Inbox

This email was sent by GeoNet because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from GeoNet, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

0 Kudos