Select to view content in your preferred language

Hosting map tour data

04-29-2014 12:34 PM
BraunaHartzell
Emerging Contributor
I would like to create a story map (Map tour or shortlist format) where the point data for the story map can not be stored in the Cloud. I would like to keep my point data on my web server and utilize the ArcGIS online base map. From similar posts, it seems like this is possible but there are not enough details on the implementation.  How do I configure the index.html or java script to point to my data on our web server?  In what folder does the data need to be? 

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User
You are correct, Map Tour and Shortlist rely on webmap than can be implemented by ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS. If you don't want to use one of this product you will have to modify the source code. This is doable but it can be quite challenging.

When using a webmap with Map Tour you can have your data stored in the web map itself, in a Feature Service or in a CSV hosted externally. I guess that's the option you want.

For that in ArcGIS.com Web Map Viewer, create your web map and reference your CSV hosted on any server using Add > Add layer from Web > CSV.

The CSV will never be stored in ArcGIS Online. When you load your Map Tour that use that webmap, Map Tour will access the CSV. When you do that you will not be able to edit data with the builder, only the general settings like the layout will be available.

You can access the CSV and more documentation on Map Tour GitHub repository.
0 Kudos
BraunaHartzell
Emerging Contributor
Thanks for the quick response. I finally had a chance to try this out and indeed we could load our CSV file from our server.  Worked beautifully.  However, as a check, we later deleted the CSV file from our server, and the map still opened with the all the data showing.  This seems to indicate to me that the data are in fact being loaded and then stored on the ArcGIS Cloud and not being refreshed from the external server each time the map is opened.  Our client's requirements are such that their data cannot reside in the Cloud. Are there any other options to accomplish keeping the point data on our server without going to the ArcGIS Cloud? 

Thanks so much for your assistance!
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User
I'm very formal that when you use "Add > Add layer from Web > A CSV file", no data is stored in ArcGIS Online.
However when you drag and drop the CSV in the web map or do "Add > Add layer from File" then the data will be stored in ArcGIS Online.

I just tried to be sure and noticed that the workflow with "Add > Add layer from Web > A CSV file" is broken.
This is a major regression that we are going to fix ASAP. I will post an update here once resolved.

Note that there is a workaround to that issue, while the application display "Loading data" (before it says Loading failed), if you resize the browser window, the application will load just fine.
0 Kudos
GregoryL_Azou
Deactivated User
The issue with application not opening when using CSV layer has been resolved with the latest release of Map Tour (available in ArcGIS Online today), see release notes on GitHub.
0 Kudos