Select to view content in your preferred language

Having trouble embedding a Web AppBuilder application into a Story Map Journal

Jump to solution
01-20-2016 08:00 AM
HannahHutchins2
New Contributor

I already have a public Story Map Journal in place, but I'm looking for a way that the user can turn on and off layers within the Journal. My idea was to embed a web application (from web app builder) into the Story Map Journal. When I went to embed the web application (and included &embed at the end of my URL), it wouldn't load in my Story Map.

Does anyone know why? I had everything set to public.

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Hannah,

The &embed URL parameter only works with other storytelling apps (like Swipe, Map Tour, etc.).

I'd recommend using Main Stage Actions to help your viewers turn layers on/off. Here's a blog post that describes how to use them: Using Story Map Journal Main Stage Actions | ArcGIS Blog

If you are comfortable working with code, here's a blog on styling your Main Stage Actions as buttons: https://medium.com/story-maps-developers-corner/create-buttons-for-main-stage-actions-using-the-styl...

You might also find this GeoNet thread about which apps have a layer toggle control interesting:  Which AGO applications allow users to turn layers on and off?

If you do want a layer toggle you can try embedding your web app builder app without the &embed parameter or use one of the other configurable apps like Map Tools or Basic Viewer.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Hannah,

The &embed URL parameter only works with other storytelling apps (like Swipe, Map Tour, etc.).

I'd recommend using Main Stage Actions to help your viewers turn layers on/off. Here's a blog post that describes how to use them: Using Story Map Journal Main Stage Actions | ArcGIS Blog

If you are comfortable working with code, here's a blog on styling your Main Stage Actions as buttons: https://medium.com/story-maps-developers-corner/create-buttons-for-main-stage-actions-using-the-styl...

You might also find this GeoNet thread about which apps have a layer toggle control interesting:  Which AGO applications allow users to turn layers on and off?

If you do want a layer toggle you can try embedding your web app builder app without the &embed parameter or use one of the other configurable apps like Map Tools or Basic Viewer.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
FriedrichStriewski1
New Contributor III

I think you can use the URL from any AGOL web-app for reference in your Map Journal (through the 'website' option).

Also, if you don't mind coding a bit and prefer a highly customizable solution, try the ArcGIS for JavaScript API, e.g. 'LayerList' Widget:

LayerList widget | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

LayerList | API Reference | ArcGIS API for JavaScript

0 Kudos