Google Analytics in Story Maps and information on actual locations

Jump to solution
03-13-2018 05:28 PM
kmsmikrud
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I do see there is "Adding Google Analytics to your Story Maps" story on the Story Maps Developer's Corner and I talked with our web person here at work. We are currently working with the Shortlist Story Map template and is it possible to get statistics on the actual locations within the shortlist to know which ones are viewed relative to the other locations?

We are currently planning to put the story map within the iframe with our agency wrapper around it so I was looking at the Google Analytic statistics that the web team here normally use and they didn't think it was possible since the Story Map url doesn't change when you click between tabs or to different locations.

I was hoping someone might be able to provide this info whether it was or wasn't possible.

Thanks so much!

Kathy

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Hi Kathy Smikrud , 

You are doing it right, I have just checked with the Google Analytics Debugger and it is sending the data:

But you should not check in page views, you should check the "Events" inside "Real-Time" or "Behavior":

In my case I'm filtering by "Event Label" because I wanted to know with sections were more visited. If you expand the information in the browser console (using the debugger) you will understand with "Categories", "Actions" and "Label" are sent based on the actions you perform in the site.

This is what I see if I expand a message when clicking on a new section in the storymap journal I modified:

Best regards,

Raul

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

Thank-you!! We found it in the Google Analytics program from your tips above!

Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

You're welcome Kathy!.

I'm going to try and make these changes as you suggested and use your new deployable version. Hopefully I can do this I'm not very savy with javascript but you've given awesome directions!

Good luck with that!

are the individual locations within a tab referenced similar to the 'story-tab-navigation' you've added or would that amount to specifying each location somehow?

Nope, I forgot to add that too, but I have added it to the ToDo List (a.k.a. repo issues).

If this is very important & urgent for you and want me to help you find a partner willing to help you with that just let me know.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
kmsmikrud

This is not very urgent but it really is a metric we would like to have in the near future. I appreciate your help immensely. thank-you!!

0 Kudos
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

Ok Kathy Smikrud‌, I'll try to get back to you, but I case I don't please write me a message in a couple of weeks.

Best

0 Kudos
Raul_Jimenez
Esri Contributor

You are right Kathy, not every browser still support Template literals

So please change the:

console.log(`Index = ${index}`);

For:

console.log('Index = ' + index);

Or just remove that line .

Cheers,

Raúl