Select to view content in your preferred language

Enhancement - configurable zoom level for each point

Jump to solution
01-17-2014 03:53 PM
RoyceJones
New Contributor II
I'd like to have a "zoom level" attribute on each point so that I could have the option to change the zoom level used as a point is selected from the bottom banner.
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi C.E.,

I apologize that you've had to wait for this feature, but a significant overhaul of Map Tour is on our schedule for the second half of 2016. We plan to address as many feature requests as we can during that work, and this one is high on our list.

We are also planning to release an update to Story Map Shortlist that will be available as a hosted app on ArcGIS Online by June, so that app may fit your needs as well.

Just to confirm, you have found this setting where you can set the zoom level for all the points, right?

2015-12-29 at 9.47.31 AM.JPG

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor II
Hi Royce
This would be a nice enhancement and it is on our list. Currently in the map tour you can specify a scale that you want people to be taken to once they start the tour, but it would be great if you could also specify an extent for one or more of the points in your tour so you can have more control over what users see. For example in this app: http://storymaps.esri.com/stories/2013/maptour-sandiego-transportation/ some of the tour points refer to sections of roads or rail networks and it would be good to be able to zoom the user to the extent of those features when they go to them in the tour. Another example is: http://kygeonet.ky.gov/StoryMaps/KyPhysiographicRegions/ in which each point in the tour describes a region on the map, so it would be cool to be able to take the user to the extent of each specific region.
0 Kudos
C_EHoward
Occasional Contributor III

has the ability to zoom to a particular point in the tour been added? It does not seem like it from my experience. this enhancement is almost 2 years old so it would be nice to actually have something like this available-- it does not do my users much good to have to then zoom to an area themselves.

I basically want to show a bunch of locations (zoomed in) with some nice media and descriptive text for each location, but each story map template I try has almost the functionality I want but not quite everything....any suggestions? I like the countdown but want to use my own feature service. i like the tour but want to zoom, and i like the journal but like the other point-based apps. I'd love to have something that did all of the above but as with most Esri templates, you get very inconsistent functionality and have to sacrifice something (non developer here like a majority of users). thanks

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi C.E.,

I apologize that you've had to wait for this feature, but a significant overhaul of Map Tour is on our schedule for the second half of 2016. We plan to address as many feature requests as we can during that work, and this one is high on our list.

We are also planning to release an update to Story Map Shortlist that will be available as a hosted app on ArcGIS Online by June, so that app may fit your needs as well.

Just to confirm, you have found this setting where you can set the zoom level for all the points, right?

2015-12-29 at 9.47.31 AM.JPG

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
C_EHoward
Occasional Contributor III

Thank you Owen. yes I saw the zoom levels, but you would still have to sacrifice something (too zoomed or not zoomed enough) setting this, correct?

2016 sounds like a good year for story maps but 2nd half is a long ways away. My needs to show data are immediate however so I suppose I will be making more workarounds as usual.

I am looking at shortlist and countdown and playlist (think that is different) as well but am not thrilled about some of their limitations (such as the CSV requirement). I think the countdown could suit my needs-- but it cannot use a hosted service, right?

I always fall back to the story map journal but I would like to give users more variety and show projects in a way that is best suited for our audiences.