Crowdsource Story map cant be created

Jump to solution
08-23-2017 08:52 AM
NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

I have tried to create a crowdsourced story map several times over the last couple of days but it does not appear to be successfully creating anything.

I go through the builder and create a name for it. I get the warning message that the app is still in Beta.

And then this error message appears:

I have tried refreshing multiple times, I've even tried on seperate days. 

The web app and the layer are created within my AGOL contents page but when I click to open the application this way I also get the same error message.

I have tried deleting the layer/app created and making a new one but the same problem still exists.  

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Naomi, in the last release of ArcGIS Online, the feature service team added a new group of servers to handle additional users. This new group did not get whitelisted in our JavaScript API until after the release. Because of this, the story map cannot communicate correctly with those servers and the story fails halfway through the creation process. We have a fix in our code and have added additional measures to make sure this does not happen again in the future. Unfortunately, these fixes will not be rolled until the next ArcGIS Online update (scheduled for September).

Until then, our team has created a temporary URL that you can use to create a new crowdsource stories. This bug is only an issue in the initial app creation step of the builder. Once you create the items with this temporary URL, you will be redirected to the app on ArcGIS Online which you can edit and share as you normally would.

Here's the app you can use to create your stories:

https://storymap-crowdsource.surge.sh/index.html?fromScratch 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Can you paste the URL to the feature service that gets created?

0 Kudos
NaomiBegg2

https://naomibegg.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=39a0c53b7f97474fb61c410b6fac81c3  

I have shared it publically.  I am still getting the same result though.

Also everytime I try and refresh like it suggests it creates a new feature service within the folder.

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Naomi, it looks like the link you provided is shared privately so I can't see it.

0 Kudos
NaomiBegg2

Sorry, it appears that every time I refresh it as it asks, it creates a new feature service to the folder and locked as default, these layers must somehow override the original.  They are definitely all public now.

0 Kudos
StephenSylvia
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Naomi, in the last release of ArcGIS Online, the feature service team added a new group of servers to handle additional users. This new group did not get whitelisted in our JavaScript API until after the release. Because of this, the story map cannot communicate correctly with those servers and the story fails halfway through the creation process. We have a fix in our code and have added additional measures to make sure this does not happen again in the future. Unfortunately, these fixes will not be rolled until the next ArcGIS Online update (scheduled for September).

Until then, our team has created a temporary URL that you can use to create a new crowdsource stories. This bug is only an issue in the initial app creation step of the builder. Once you create the items with this temporary URL, you will be redirected to the app on ArcGIS Online which you can edit and share as you normally would.

Here's the app you can use to create your stories:

https://storymap-crowdsource.surge.sh/index.html?fromScratch