Creating a shortlist map using survey123 data

11-04-2018 01:31 PM
NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

I'm trying to find a way that anyone can submit a photo to a story map - previously I would have used the crowd sourcing template so I'm guttered that its been unsupported.

So my alternative attempt has been to try and make a survey which consists of 

- a title (single line)

- a photo

- a location

- a description (multi line)

I have put this into a map and I have tried to share it using the shortlist template. I select use them as-is.  This results in a blank page with no sign of anything.

This is what I see when I have IE developer tools open.  

How do I make this work??

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

Hi Naomi

Thanks for raising this. Unfortunately this combination doesn't work seamlessly. Story Map Shortlist only treats image attachments as images if there are attributes field in the layer that contain the full URLs to the images so they can be accessed via URLs, one for the thumbnail and one for the larger size image. These fields are not present in the data generated by Survey 123 or Collector, so Shortlist can't display that data directly. Another issue with using this data in Story Maps is that the images aren't optimized for fast display. In general then we'd recommend an intermediate step if using Survey 123 or Collector images in Story Maps  where you assemble the images you want to include as image files and then upload them manually into the Story Map Builder.

Rupert

0 Kudos
NaomiBegg2
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Rupert

What is the alternative to the crowd sourcing story map then? When ESRI stopped supporting it they made it sound like there was going to be some kind of alternative similar thing.  I found the crowd sourcing map invaluable so I am sorely missing it.

Its perfect for my current scenario on wanting to create a map of all the travel our office colleagues have done (as well as introducing them to the awesomeness of interactive maps.  I don't have time to be constantly standing beside someone and logging into their computer etc.  The other alternative would be to create a mock AGOL account to allow everyone to jump in and put their photos in .. but I don't think ESRI would be keen on that.

0 Kudos
RupertEssinger
Frequent Contributor

You could still use an app like Survey 123 to gather info from them and add it to a map. It is only the automatic transfer of collected pics to Story Map Shortlist that doesn't work well. There's not a direct equivalent of Story Map Crowdsource. That app is still supported and can be used still. It is just in mature support. We do hear you about wanting something like that though. Please see this FAQ about it too: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/en/faq/#question25c 

Rupert

0 Kudos