Select to view content in your preferred language

Can the Crowdsource Storymap read geotags directly from photos?

Jump to solution
07-17-2016 12:00 PM
AlanRea
New Contributor III

I've  been experimenting with storymaps, and would like to be able to add photos, all having geotags, and have them automatically georeferenced using the geotag information. Would also like to make the storymap so that anybody could add photos and build the storymap over time. The Crowdsource template looks almost ideal. If it could simply read the geotags when uploading the photos, it would save the users the effort of finding and copying the geotag locations. If I'm not overlooking some way to do this in the current template, I'd like to suggest this as an enhancement request. A crowdsourcing app ought to be really easy, and adding this functionality would go a long way toward making this a real killer app template.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Shawn -- I don't recall when it was added, but yes this is currently available. When a photo is added, the location for the contribution gets placed on the map according to the geotag. If this is not working in your story, is there a chance that you have downloaded the code and are self-hosting the app? In that case you may be using an older version where this feature is not available.

Please be aware that Story Map Crowdsource has been moved to mature support. Read this blog post for more information.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos