Bullets

05-03-2015 05:50 AM
JanSmook
New Contributor

Hi. I hope that this is the right place to put my question.

The thing is: in my Story Map Journal I have a problem using the blue bullets/markers in the main stage panel. They don't disappear when the reader moves to the next chapter in the journal. Is there a way to reset the map so my readers will only see the bullets that are relevant to one chapter?

I am using Arcgis Online and have a Personal account. I just discovered the Journal App and it is fantastic what you can do by it.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jan,

Yes, this is the right place for questions about the Map Journal!

However, I'm not sure I understand your question. Can you please provide a bit more information as well as a screenshot indicating the blue bullets/markers you mentioned?

Thanks!
Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
JanSmook
New Contributor

Hi Owen. Here are a few screenshots. This first shows the page I am working on. I have put 4 blue markers/bullets on my map, to link my route through Cairo to the text. The 2nd screenshot  is about the menu (in Dutch). The 3d is the one where I can place the marker on the map.

(There is also a problem to uncheck the box, where the red arrow points to: the app doesn't always allow this box to be unchecked). 

The only way to make the markers disappear is to refresh the browser page (alternatively the reader has to press 'previous' ["vorige" on the Map Stage in the first screenshot] before clicking another marker link, but then you can only see one at a time). Hope this makes things clear...

screenshot bullets1.jpg

screenshot bullets2.jpg

screenshot bullets3.jpg

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the additional information. I was able to reproduce the situation you described and we have identified this as a bug. I've created this Github issue so you can track it:

Pins created by locate place/address main stage action do not disappear. · Issue #33

I also have a suggestion for how you might be able to accomplish something similar:

1. Create a web map that has one feature layer or map notes layer with the points you want to call out for each section (one layer per section).
  2. Add this web map to a map journal section, and use a custom content configuration to make only the layer for the current section visible. (see screenshots, below)
  3. In the side panel, highlight the text that you want the reader to click on to zoom to the first point and use a main stage action to "Change the main stage content" and use a custom location configuration to pan/zoom the map to the first point. Repeat as needed for each point in the first section.
  4. Add another section to the journal, use the same web map and a custom content configuration to make only the layer for the second section visible.
  5. Configure main stage action text links for the second section as needed.
  6. Repeat as needed for all remaining sections.

2015-05-05 at 11.40.26 AM.JPG

2015-05-05 at 11.41.25 AM.JPG

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.

Owen

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
JanSmook
New Contributor

Hi Owen. Thanks for your quick response and for looking into it. Interesting suggestion too, but I am afraid that it will result in many sections within a rather short text.  But I will figure out a way without using the pins from the Main Stage Actions.

Regards,

Jan Smook

0 Kudos