Select to view content in your preferred language

AGO hosting Map tour point feature service & web map

Jump to solution
03-09-2015 09:37 AM
TiffanyStram
New Contributor III

I want to create a Story map that contains a web map hosted on ArcGIS Online and use ArcGIS Online to host my images. 

1) If I try creating the Story Map from the web map (via the Share/Create WebMap), it appears to be looking for a file within that webmap that has the map tour points "The application cannot determine the appropriate name, caption or color data. Please select the fields to be used here. These settings can be changed at a later time." and I am unable to bypass this. 

2) If I try creating the Story Map from the storymaps.arcgis.com website, it gives me the option to create a feature service to host the map tour points, but I can't figure out how change the base map to my web map.

My work around is to start creating a story map via #2 above so that it creates a map tour point feature service.  Then I add that feature service to my web map and create the story map via #1.  Is there a better way to do this?

Tiffany

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Sorry about your troubles. Can you paste a link to a webmap that is failing in the first case? Do you have any layers in it? Map Tour is indeed analyzing your webmap to find a Map Tour layer, in your case looks like it has found one potential layer in your webmap but it fails when using it.

The builder display a basemap switcher in the top right corner, limited to the ArcGIS Online basemap. If you want to use a custom basemap this is not possible to use that. But if that scenario, you can edit your webmap basemap through ArcGIS Online Map Viewer (Map Tour Builder create a webmap for you behind the scene, you will find it in ArcGIS Online).

There should be another workaround: in the scenario 1 switch the visibility of all your webmap layers to not visible before opening the builder. After you have created the Feature Service you should be able to turn them back to visible. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
GregoryL_Azou
Regular Contributor II

Sorry about your troubles. Can you paste a link to a webmap that is failing in the first case? Do you have any layers in it? Map Tour is indeed analyzing your webmap to find a Map Tour layer, in your case looks like it has found one potential layer in your webmap but it fails when using it.

The builder display a basemap switcher in the top right corner, limited to the ArcGIS Online basemap. If you want to use a custom basemap this is not possible to use that. But if that scenario, you can edit your webmap basemap through ArcGIS Online Map Viewer (Map Tour Builder create a webmap for you behind the scene, you will find it in ArcGIS Online).

There should be another workaround: in the scenario 1 switch the visibility of all your webmap layers to not visible before opening the builder. After you have created the Feature Service you should be able to turn them back to visible. 

TiffanyStram
New Contributor III

You are correct, based on my field choices it is looking at a different layer as a potential Map Tour layer.  If I turned the layer off that AGO was looking at as a potential Map Tour layer, it did give me the option to create the Map Tour layer on AGO.  Thank you!

0 Kudos