Adding Legend in StoryMap Map Tour

01-04-2023 11:36 AM
bbarnard
New Contributor

Currently looking for work arounds to ESRI's StoryMap limitations on their Map Tour content.

Map Tour allows you to cycle through a list of points while displaying attachments, some attribute info, and of course where it is on the map.

You can also use an existing Web Map as a "basemap". The issue here, is that you cannot display the legend of that map while on the map tour.

Old StoryMap as discussed here could add the legend in the banner, but it looks like this is no longer supported.

Looking to see if anyone has come up with work arounds. I can of course add an image of the legend before the map, but that becomes inconvenient to refer back to as the Map Tour scrolls on.

3 Replies
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @bbarnard

Here are some workaround suggestions put forth by @OwenGeo  in a previous post. Though the example story from the post is referencing Cascade layouts, some of these ideas for placement can be achieved similarly in a map tour:

1. "Create a simple graphic legend and add that as an image before the tour to explain the access level colors.
  2. Create a bulleted list of the categories right before the tour. Use colored text in the list to match the category description colors to the layer colors."

The example story linked above also explores placing legend information and context within the narrative panels in the map tour, though this may be a more helpful technique for maps that are thematically changing with each slide.

I know you mentioned adding the legend right before the map tour isn't ideal for the scrolling nature of the tour. I'd also recommend giving Kudos and commenting on the existing ArcGIS StoryMaps idea to request this functionality be considered for future releases.

Thanks,

Abby

0 Kudos
bbarnard
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.  

Short answer: I'm out of luck for now.  

Although it seems like an extremely easy thing to do on ESRI's end, I'm sure it is more complicated than that. Thanks for linking that idea post, hopefully it can gain some more traction. In the meantime I'll consider one of the two suggestions and hope they are sufficient.  

Cheers. 

0 Kudos
K_Jueckstock
New Contributor III

Also interested in this functionality! Thanks for sharing

0 Kudos