Select to view content in your preferred language

What is the simplest way of printing a map as a reference so I can create a hand-drawn map in its place?

09-24-2015 09:59 AM
LucyHG_Solomon
Deactivated User

I am an artist and new to interactive map-making.  I want to create a custom map to use as a layer, but I want to do it in the most efficient, tech-savy way.  So, my questions are:

Is there a way to download and print the base layer so that I draw accurate proportions, etc?

Is there a site where I can find image specifics, pixel dimension recommendations, format, size?

Is there potentially a step-by-step guide for doing what I would like to do?

To recap, I want to take the world map that is in Arc GIS, print it and design my own map based on those dimensions.  I then want to scan in my drawing and apply that to my map as a layer.

I appreciate any help or links!  Thank you!

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

I'm not sure I follow, but here's a starting point:

Printing (put map on paper): ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

Georeferencing (put scanned paper on map): ArcGIS Help (10.2, 10.2.1, and 10.2.2)

0 Kudos
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

The best way to accomplish your goal will depend upon several variables.  Some considerations:

1.  Is your basemap vector or raster?  If it is vector, see #3.

2.  Is the scale known for your basemap?  Is the basemap in a projected coordinate system?  Since you want to keep in with accurate proportions, it will be important that the information be in a projected coordinate system (and it may not be currently).

3.  It sounds like the process will involve creating a raster, as you propose printing the basemap, drawing on it, and then scanning it back in.  Depending upon what you want to accomplish by drawing on it, it may be easier to create a Vector feature class (or copy the existing one, if that is the case) and draw/edit the linework in your copy and keep the entire process in ArcGIS.

4.  Another option is to export your basemap as a raster, work on it in Photoshop or another image manipulation program, then georeference it back to your original base image.

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos