Find function stops after ArcReader left opened for awhile and idle

12-08-2015 12:46 PM
JanetMerkt
New Contributor III

We have 3 people running ArcReader 10.1  They have been using a PMF last updated about 6 months ago - (the MXD has about 40 layers) with no issues until just recently.  They keep it open (minimized) because they have customers from time to time but do not need to be active in it continuously.  Lately when using the Find function, the results are "No objects found" .  We know the search criteria is correct.  If they close it and open it back up, it then works fine - until it's idle for awhile and then it may - or may not find anything.  It happens on multiple layers. 

Steps so far:  We have recreated the 40 layer MXD, then recreated the PMF.  Upgraded to 10.3 on one machine - same issue with the original PMF.    We created an second MXD and PMF with less layers (about 8), and one person (10.1) is using that - so far so good.  No reports of misbehaving.  The last person (10.1) is using the recreated 40 layer PMF with problems.

I am the author of the 8 layer PMF running  ArcMap10.2.1 and my co-worker is the author of the 40 layer PMF, running ArcMap10.2.2

The only thing that has changed recently is the installation of Internet Explorer 11.0 by our IT department.  Any ideas??

Janet Merkt
St Lucie County, FL

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
LoriBender
New Contributor

I have a similar issue. ArcReader crashing when left idle for several hours. We also have lots of layers 30+ and running the latest version of ArcReader. Has anyone found a solution to this problem?

0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

I don't have this issue, but have issues with the find tool either hanging forever, or crashing Reader.

My solution is to modify the default locators so that there are no locators to pick from (comment them all out) as we use in offline mode, so, even if you have a new version of ArcReader that has "valid" locators (older versions have locators hard coded that don't even exist anymore), it will hang forever trying to ping them without network connectivity.

Just a thought, might try commenting out the entries (or at least unused ones) in the defaultlocator.xml file.

R_

0 Kudos