Select to view content in your preferred language

Will ArcPad be compatible with Windows Phone 6.5/7

12-27-2010 11:50 AM
JoelShegrud
Deactivated User
Will ArcPad work on devices running Windows Phone?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DeniseKing
Esri Regular Contributor
Ben,

Currently, ArcPad is not being developed for the new Windows Phone operating system (Windows Phone 7 OS). ArcPad will continue to be developed for Windows and Windows Mobile operating systems including Windows Mobile 6.0, 6.1 and 6.5 OS. Esri has developed a Mobile GIS solution for Windows Phone platform, ArcGIS for Windows Phone. Please visit the site for more information, http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcgismobile/10.0/apis/windowsphone/.

Thanks,
Denise
0 Kudos
DanielBaternik
Deactivated User
My understanding is that Windows Mobile has been superseded by Windows Phone 7. Windows Mobile has been re-branded as Windows Phone Classic. This would mean that unless ArcPad and ArcGIS Mobile are re-written to use the new ArcGIS for WP7 sdk, they are now products destined to become irrelevant and limited to supporting WM legacy applications. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Whilst this is a challenge, it is a massive leap forward for mobile development.

What i've yet to see from MS is their plans for improving enterprise support for WP7 and also mobile device manufacturer uptake of wp7. Any insight into this area would be much appreciated