Select to view content in your preferred language

Trimble Tablet PC with and R8 receiver using an RTN correction with ArcPad 10

08-05-2011 07:01 AM
MikeLiska
New Contributor III
Can anyone help with setting up and configuring a Trimble Tablet PC with an R8 receiver using an Iowa RTN for correction with ArcPad 10?  I believe I will be needing to setup a NMEA string to make this work but not sure how.  Any help with setting up the NMEA strings, ports and baud rate would be helpful.  I am using a MiFi Verizon card that uses an IP for the data correction and not sure how to start the data connection on the Tablet to receive the corrected data.  Can this be done?

Thanks,

Mike
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrettBlack1
Occasional Contributor
Mike,

I would give your dealer a call. I see you are in Iowa, so I am assuming your dealer is Precision Midwest, correct? They should have the details on how to do this.

You are correct, basically you need to send the NMEA string from the R8 via blueooth to the Trimble Tablet, most likely done with the the survey related data collection software. Note the blueooth com port that is receiving the NMEA data on the tablet, then you will have that as your NMEA com port in ArcPad GPS Preferences.

Good luck and feel free to email me at bblack@sidwellco.com if there is anything I can do to help.

Brett

Brett
0 Kudos
DeanFranklin1
New Contributor II
So one can use Survey Grade GPS with ArcPad?
0 Kudos
MikeLiska
New Contributor III
I have heard that you can and am working on figuring it out with some Trimble Dealers and ESRI.  If anyone else knows how to do this and could share some information that would be great.
0 Kudos
BrettBlack1
Occasional Contributor
To answer the question above, yes, you can use ArcPad for data collection on survey grade GPS/GNSS equipment. The Ashtech MobileMapper 100 and ProMark 200 are cable of centimeter level accuracy when utilizing ArcPad. The ProMark 500 with a bluetooth connection to a data collector such as the Carlson Surveyor +, Ashtech FT-1, ProMark 100 Field Terminal, etc. (or any other Windows Mobile based OS or even a tablet PC) running ArcPad is also capable of this type of accuracy.

Feel free to email me at bblack@sidwellco.com with any questions specific to your application or this configuration.
0 Kudos