Juniper Archer Handheld GPS with ArcPad - No GPS device detected error

Jump to solution
07-15-2013 07:12 AM
ZacharyLehmann
New Contributor III
Hey everyone,

Hoping someone can help me solve this problem. I have just received my second Archer unit in the mail with the GPS receiver installed and the ArcPad software installed ready to go. When I boot up ArcPad I click on the find GPS button under the GPS preferences menu in ArcPad, and it cannot find the receiver. The exact same thing happened with my first unit. I fought with settings for hours and couldn't get it to work. Finally I just restarted it for the 6th or 7th time and it worked and it's been working ever since. I'm currently in battle with the second unit with the same symptoms but restarting it doesn't seem to be fixing it this time around.

I've checked all my device settings, the bauds and com ports are all correct, ArcPad just can't find the damn thing. Even if I manually enter the com port it doesn't receive any GPS signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm pulling my hair out over this one!
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ZacharyLehmann
New Contributor III
It uses NMEA yes.

I seem to have figured it out. I was shutting down the unit (old windows troubleshooting habit). If you hold down the power button and select reset instead of power off, it works. After I did that I could use the GPS search tool (little binoculars) and didn't have any trouble after that.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PaulLohr
Occasional Contributor III
Do you have the correct communication protocol selected?

I was looking at the Juniper site, there was no mention of which protocol their GPS devices use. NMEA?
0 Kudos
ZacharyLehmann
New Contributor III
It uses NMEA yes.

I seem to have figured it out. I was shutting down the unit (old windows troubleshooting habit). If you hold down the power button and select reset instead of power off, it works. After I did that I could use the GPS search tool (little binoculars) and didn't have any trouble after that.
0 Kudos