How can I make polylines look "ahead," rather than "back?"

06-03-2011 10:29 AM
DouglasBurn
New Contributor
I'm trying to develop a wildlife survey application for use in small skiffs.  I have two data layers: 1) point features for wildlife sightings; and 2) line features for survey tracks.  I'd like to use the "capture vertices" tool to record the survey tracks, but it seems like you can only enter attribute information at the completion of each line feature.  What I'd really like to do is show the editform and enter attribute data at the start of the line (start time, observers, environmental conditions, etc.) and show it again at the end of the line to record end time and enter comments. 

I have chased this one around for two days now, and have gotten nowhere.  Any suggestions?

Doug B.
U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
Anchorage, AK
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DouglasBurn
New Contributor
I did come up with a workaround for this problem.  It involves using a point feature that has the same fields and domains as the line feature.  It also uses the same custom form as the line feature.  The applet has a custom tool that creates a point feature where you record the initial conditions.  The you begin capturing vertices for the line feature.  When you have completed the geometry for the line and the editform opens, it uses a recordset object to read the starting values from the last record in the point feature, and fills in the corresponding fields in the editform for the line feature.  Will post the code under ArcScripts when I've finished adding a few more features to the application.
0 Kudos