Select to view content in your preferred language

Getting ArcPad to record Z values that are MSL Height and other sundry questions

09-25-2013 07:05 AM
CraigGraham
Occasional Contributor
Good Morning,
I have seen a bunch of threads on this subject but they seem dated, so I am wondering if there is an up-to-date answer out there...

How do you get ArcPad to record heights that are from MSL? 

In the GPS Heights tab on the GPS Preferences dialog box there are a couple of options. 

The easy way would be to find the GEOID separation value at the location of the study area and use that.

• Wouldn't this result in the values being stored wrong?

• What would happen if someone was to preform subsequent projection processes, or even GPS post processing...

• I have seen a few people say this is not accurate, but then for the area I'm looking at the separation value has a range of 3mm which is far less than the standard deviation of the test points we've collected (+/- 10 cm after 25 minutes of run time)

The other method is to use a transformation.  There is a tool to set them up but then it has a button to send to mobile device...?  What if you are using an GPS like an SX Blue II and ArcPad is on your Windows XP/7 tablet?  How do you "send" the transformation to it?  When using this method does it even take the height from the GPS into consideration or does it just record the height of the geoide from the ellipsoid?

Any help or suggestions are very appreciated.

Take care,
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies