Feature additions not saving to axf file immediately

04-15-2013 12:21 PM
MichaelParry
New Contributor II
Hello,

I'm having a spot of trouble trying to save edits to an axf file in ArcPad.

I have a form for a layer I created based on the pole inspection sample in ArcPad 10. When I create a new point, populate my dropdowns and textboxes with data, then hit 'OK' to commit my edits, they are only written to the axf file if I wait about 20 seconds before closing ArcPad. If I close soon after hitting 'OK' my last edit is not saved. (Please, no 'doctor,-it-hurts-when-I-do-this' gags :))

I'm running ArcPad on my desktop machine at the moment for testing but i don't want to have to tell the field collectors to sit and wait a while after collecting their last point. I think hitting 'OK' should immediately save the edits to the axf file.

I've added some code to the form's "onok" event in an effort to force the commit (Application.ExecuteCommand("featureok")) which seemed to work for a little while but the issue resurfaced (likely never solved it to begin with). Saving the mxd, deselecting the added feature, don't work (unless it takes me about 20 seconds to do this ;))

Any ideas would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
SarahGreen
New Contributor
I'm just wondering if you had any luck ever fixing this issue of the feature additions not saving immediately?  We are running into the exact same issue.  We have a custom form built for when a user collects point information.  If I close the form and then close ArcPad soon after the point disappears.  It wasn't until I found this posting that I discovered if I wait 20 seconds that the feature will be saved to the axf.  I worry that field staff will collect a point and then hibernate their computer as they travel to the next point that they may lose data unless they remember to wait 20 seconds.

Anyone have any idea of how to save the feature to the axf immediately when the custom form is saved and closed?

Thanks,

Sarah
0 Kudos
MattAyer
New Contributor III
I have just noticed this as well.  Scary.
0 Kudos
SarahMoussadji
Occasional Contributor

To all who posted in this forum, Matt and I have been working together on this and we have determined this is a bug:

NIM103949 - [Point features are not saved in ArcPad 10.2.1 when utilizing a workflow with a custom applet and closing ArcPad within 20 seconds.]

I brought the issue to the attentions of the dev team in Redlands and they believe the edits aren't saving right away due to individual processes that haven't been able to complete and store the edits until that time limit has passed. In Matt's case, we think it is due to the fact that multiple AXF files are being used in the applet and because each action made against a different AXF is a different process on the back end.

The workaround for now is to let your users know to leave the application open for more than 20 seconds so all the edits get saved.

Thanks,

Sarah

0 Kudos
DerekAnheuser
New Contributor

Hi,

I know this is a little late to the game on posting, but has anyone made progress on this issue.  I am currently dealing with this issue and it is starting to cause major stoppages in work flow.  I have field crews surveying poles points for routing on a project.  Through a custom form they collect information at a pole and report any issues.  My form uses custom scripts to pull information from background AXF.  Most of the time the points are appearing as they should, but I have had entire days or weeks work disappear after the surveyor packs up for the day.  I know the surveyors were at the points I need due to pictures being taken and other files created at the same time the point is collected.  I have even had partial surveys disappear when the surveyor half finishes and comes back to it the next day.

Any body have any easy work around that would prevent arcpad from losing my point data?

0 Kudos
TravisBugg1
New Contributor III

Hi Derek,

Did you ever find any solutions to your problem? One of our Juno units has been experiencing data loss as well. It's very similar to what you described. Field crews are out all day collecting points, lines, and polygons for an archaeological survey, and then occasionally, when they close the map, *poof*. The entire day of data is simply gone. I'm not sure if the problem is related to the bug mentioned above or not. I'll have the unit in my hands in a few days, and will try to reproduce the behavior.

0 Kudos
IngridHogle
Occasional Contributor

I was told several months ago by Esri Support that the user must wait 30 seconds before closing ArcPad to ensure the last edit (to the axf or to the apm) is saved. So I don't think the problem has been resolved, but there is a known work-around.

0 Kudos
TravisBugg1
New Contributor III

Hi Ingrid,

I was wondering if this had something to do with what we are seeing. But the fact that the users continuously record data for long periods of time without closing map or letting the unit hibernate, makes me believe that the problem lies elsewhere. It is good to know of this limitation, however, and I'll make sure our field crews aren't shutting down the maps prematurely.

Thanks.

0 Kudos