Select to view content in your preferred language

Default Value - Auto Date?

10-28-2011 03:13 AM
anasmalkawi
Deactivated User
What's the best way to stamp today's date (No Time) as a default value in a field on ArcPad point collection? Is it easier in ArcPad Studio, ArcCatalog, or ArcMap?

I'm sure it is a scripting language and that's where my knowledge is very limited.

Thanks for the help.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HannahFerrier
Deactivated User
Hi Anas,

If you have specified a 'DATE' field in your geodatabase datatset and use the ArcPad Data Manager Toolbar in ArcMap to check-out your ArcPad Project, the forms that are automatically generated for use in ArcPad will include a 'Date Picker' for the 'DATE' field. All the field user needs to do is click on the date in the calender to enter that information into the 'DATE' field. No scripting required!!

Hannah Ferrier
ArcPad Development Team
0 Kudos
anasmalkawi
Deactivated User
What if they are using a laptop with Arcpad 10 for Windows?

I'm trying to set up a system of Preventive Maintenance where the crews go out and input information on valves, air vents, etc. When I open the project on my computer the next day it pulls up the date opened (today) not the day it was collected in the field.
0 Kudos
TimHopper
Frequent Contributor
You can also set a default value for your date field (that's a text or integer field).

Via ArcPad Studio:

Go into the properties of the Text control (within the Edit Form) and set it's default value to Now(). This will automatically record the Date/Time within the text field when the edit form is opened.

See my post on the following thread which discusses this topic a little bit.

Default date value

If you set the default value to Now() on an integer field it will only give you the year, such as 2011.

Hope this helps.
0 Kudos