converting GPS coordinate formats in arcpad10

06-04-2011 04:32 PM
DanielOele
New Contributor
Hello, Seems like a simple thing, I just can't figure it out. My shp files and related data points/ XY coordinates are displayed in X 678859.332419359 Y 485164.424942553. is that UTM? I want the entire shape file/ data points to be displayed in decimal degrees to be consistent with other layers. Is there a quick fix in arcpad10?

Thanks in advance.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
DeanFranklin1
New Contributor II
is that UTM?

Yup.

I want the entire shape file/ data points to be displayed in decimal degrees to be consistent with other layers. Is there a quick fix in arcpad10?

Thanks in advance.

This could be due to the projection your .shp file is in. Looks like it should be changed from UTM to WGS 84, something you can do in ArcMap
0 Kudos
CraigClouet
New Contributor III
If you are only interested in the display of the coordinates. Simply click on the coordinates as they are displayed in the GPS window. You will get a context menu and you can change the display of the coordinates in many formats, including Lat/Long DD.

ArcPad can only work with one coordinate system in the .AMP as far as the actual data. You could also reproject the original data from UTM into geographic DD in ArcMap. Then when you bring it into ArcPad it will have the DD coordinates.
0 Kudos