ArcPad - Rangefinder Preferences

02-01-2012 10:22 AM
JustinZiegler
New Contributor
Hello all,

I am attempting to set up two Trimble instruments: LaserAce 1000H with a Juno SB.
Here is what I have done so far on the Juno:
Turned both on
Installed ArcPad 10
Turned on bluetooth, I set it up so the Juno sees the laserace
Designated the laserace communication as COM1 port
I created a point shapefile and tested it out by saving a few points right outside my office
I attempted to make a few measurements and my ArcPad doesn't seem to recognize them
Under the sub-menu with the satellite (which is under the folder menu) the drop down does say "rangefinder active". If I click on this I get a blank error message.
So then I am opening up Rangefinder Preferences.
The protocol is blank, the Port is set at "COM1:", baud 4800. Automatically active and play alert are both checked. Feature capture button is set to any.

So the problem seems to be that ArcPAd is not seeing the rangefinder in the rangefinder preferences.
Am I correct in diagnosing this problem and if so, how do I fix it so that ArcPAd is receiving the data from the laserace.
One solution may be to upgrade the arcpad 10.0 (Build 55) to ArcPAd 10.0.2 based on the following:
https://twitter.com/#!/ArcPadTeam/statuses/55036650920747008
Thanks.
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
HannahFerrier
Occasional Contributor III
Have you enabled the correct Rangefinder Extension in ArcPad?

This will populate the 'PROTOCOL' section of the Rangefinder Preferences.

The LaserAce Rangefinder requires the MDL/TNL LaserAce Extension to be enabled.

Go to Advanced Settings and enable the MDL/TNL Extension on the Extensions Tab.

Then, when you set up your Rangefinder Preferences, the MDL/TNL LaserAce Protocol should be selected in the 'PROTOCOL' section.

I would absolutely use ArcPad 10.0.2 to get the latest MDL/TNL Extension 🙂

I hope this helps,

Hannah Ferrier
0 Kudos
JustinZiegler
New Contributor
Thank you for the quick response Hannah!
Will try tomorrow and let you know how it goes.
0 Kudos
JMontgomery
New Contributor
I have Leica Vector Range finder. I tested the port communication and I am receiving a signal. However - ArcPad 10.0.3 is not seeing anything in debug mode. I have tried 9600 and 4800. Also tried the correct range finder extension. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly.
0 Kudos
JMontgomery
New Contributor
I added a Null - Modem Adapter and a gender bender - still nothing. Help 🙂 With the null modem adapter I have lost all communication through the com port. uggg
0 Kudos
JohnJansen
New Contributor
Hello -- I know it's been a while since you posted but wondering if you ever solved your comm problem with the Leica Vectors.  I'm trying the same thing with the same results....ArcPad doesn't seem to be reading the datastream.

Many thanks,

John

I have Leica Vector Range finder. I tested the port communication and I am receiving a signal. However - ArcPad 10.0.3 is not seeing anything in debug mode. I have tried 9600 and 4800. Also tried the correct range finder extension. Any suggestions would be appreciated greatly.
0 Kudos
JMontgomery
New Contributor
I was able to get it to fire after getting a newer pair delivered to us (demo).  The cable is different as well.

You will just need to play with the COM settings until ArcPad recognizes input.
0 Kudos
ChristophRichter
New Contributor III

Could you tell us, which settings worked for you?

added solution, that worked for us:

We used the standard COM settings with 9600 baud and nothing else changed on the COM-Port settings (so 8 databits, parity NONE and stopbits 1) in the rangefinder prefrences. Activated "Automatically activate" and "Feature Capture Button" with any button.

The trick is to fire the event from the vector before setting the point in the map. Tap the "Point"-button on the edit toolbar, then push both buttons on the vector and the Point/Vertex dialog box opens automatically with the inserted values for bearing, slope distance and inclination that were sent from the vector. Add the position value and your attributes and save the point feature.

0 Kudos