ArcPad compatibility

10-19-2011 05:05 AM
AndrewVan_Name
New Contributor II
I have a client who wants me to upload files to his Trimble geoXH with Arcpad loaded on to it. 

We do not have an arcpad license at my office. 

Would I able to plug straight in to the computer and start transferring files to and from his device or would I need to upload any special software to do so. 

I am running Arcgis desktop 9.3 and I believe they are running arcpad 8, possibly 10, I am still waiting for that information.

Thanks

Andy
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
BrettBlack1
Occasional Contributor
You are able to download an evaluation copy (will run for 20 minutes at a time) for free here:

http://www.esri.com/apps/products/download/#ArcPad

This could be either ArcPad 8 or 10 bundled with ArcStudio. Once you have it loaded on a PC with ArcGIS Desktop you can utilize the ArcPad Data Manager extension to check-out/check-in data to test on the desktop version of ArcPad.

If you need to get a fully functioning version you will need to purchase a registration code. You can email me at bblack@sidwellco.com for pricing and additional information.
0 Kudos
TimHopper
Occasional Contributor III
In addition to Brett's comment:

If you don't actually need to create any of the data (either you're utilizing shapefiles, rasters, or you have axf files already created) you would not need ArcPad installed on your computer. 

As long as you have ActiveSync installed (Windows XP) or Windows Mobile Device Center (Vista / 7) you can plug in the mobile device and transfer files to and from device.

But as Brett said, if you actually need to check out out data for editing (feature class to axf file) or create apm's, you would need to have ArcPad installed.
0 Kudos
AndrewVan_Name
New Contributor II
Thanks,

I do have active sync installed.  The Trimble that we have at the office has terrasync loaded on it so I do not have the arcpad data manager.  I will be creating shapefiles to be loaded on to arcpad.  So it sounds that I will need the Arcpad data manager.

Andrew Van Name
0 Kudos
JuanLuera
Occasional Contributor III
Andrew,

If you will be working with shapefile, you can transfer them to the device via ActiveSync. But as Tim mentioned you will need to migrate your data to a geodatabase format, this will allow you to take complete advantage of the ArcPad Data Manager Tool bar's functions.

Get Data for ArcPad
http://help.arcgis.com/en/arcpad/10.0/help/index.html#/Get_Data_for_ArcPad/00s100000068000000/

Juan A. Luera | Desktop/ArcPad Support Analyst, Support Services
0 Kudos