ArcPad 10 Multiple Users

10-11-2010 11:41 AM
JasonTipton
Occasional Contributor III
I just installed ArcPad 10 on my desktop and GPS. Everything is peachy, except when I switch user names on the computer, it asks for the Registration Number again.  I guess my question is, is there a way to install where all users can use ArcPad or do I just need to put in the registration number again?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
GarethWalters
Deactivated User
Hi Jason,

Do you have XP or Windows 7? With XP you need to run the install as the administrator and it then should work for any user that logs on to that machine.

For windows 7 you have to make sure you are the administrator and not just an "administrator". All clear now? Thanks Microsoft!!! the administrator no longer does as much as the XP administrator. You need to tweak things.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/enable-the-hidden-administrator-account-on-windows-vist...

Hope this muddies the water.

Cheers,

Gareth
0 Kudos
JasonTipton
I'm actually dealing with an XP computer and I checked and did have administrative rights on this computer.  It's strange in that it actually has installed it. It is there and I can use it in demo mode under another account, but it is not registered (Even though I have registered it with another user account)
0 Kudos
MikeDolbow
New Contributor III
You guys solve this? I'm installing on an XP machine. I have admin rights but the user I'm setting it up for won't. I called customer service and they said the user should just be able to launch ArcPad. If that's what I get, I'll try to remember to post back.
0 Kudos
JasonTipton
Nope. It will install and be accessible like I said, but you will need to enter the registration number for any user on the computer that will use it with that user's account.
0 Kudos
MikeDolbow
New Contributor III
Yup. My user just confirmed that he had to enter in the registration number in order to use ArcPad 10. I hope this thread is noticed by ESRI support so they either a) stop telling folks otherwise or b) author a KB article.
0 Kudos
BillWinston
New Contributor III
Greetings,

My problem is similar but slightly different.  I'm not logging on as different users but am having to re-enter the registration code. 
I am installing ArcPad on Magellan MobileMapper units.  When I initially open ArcPad, the program asks for the registration number which I enter.  I am then able to run the program with no problems.  However, once I power off and back on again, the next time I load ArcPad, I get the registration number entry screen again.  Shouldn't this code persist through a power cycle?

Regards,
Bill Winston
0 Kudos
PhilDrummond
New Contributor II
It looks like this is something to do with the way the ArcPad SerialNumber is stored in the registry.

For ArcPad 10 under XP I can only find the SerialNumber under HKCU\Software\ESRI\ArcPad\10.0
BUT it still holds an key for ArcPad 8 under HKLM\Software\ESRI\ArcPad

If I log on as another user and start ArcPad 8 it's OK, but when I try ArcPad 10 I'm prompted for the code.

It appears that when you install ArcPad on an XP box that you're only installing for the current user not all users.
0 Kudos
BrettBlack1
Occasional Contributor
Greetings,

My problem is similar but slightly different.  I'm not logging on as different users but am having to re-enter the registration code. 
I am installing ArcPad on Magellan MobileMapper units.  When I initially open ArcPad, the program asks for the registration number which I enter.  I am then able to run the program with no problems.  However, once I power off and back on again, the next time I load ArcPad, I get the registration number entry screen again.  Shouldn't this code persist through a power cycle?

Regards,
Bill Winston

Bill,

Be certain to let each unit run for approximately 20 minutes before powering it off so that the registration number enters into the registry.

Regards,

Brett
0 Kudos
MatthewSimon
New Contributor II
Bill - did you ever resolve your issues with ArcPad 10 registration and the MobileMapper?  I am running into the same problem now and have tried installing ArcPad as an administrator and made sure the unit ran for 20 minutes before shutting down.  Every time I turn the unit off and then back on it asks for the registration code.....

Greetings,

Regards,
Bill Winston
0 Kudos