ArcPad 10 installation on Trimble GeoXT

07-06-2010 06:25 AM
RobertMark
New Contributor
This is the second upgrade that will not install. The removal of the previous version fails, as does the deployment of of the new version. ESRI support tells me that I must do a factory reset to remove ArcPad 8, thus deleting all the software and data on the GPS. This is outrageous!

Why hasn't this problem been fixed by now?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
MarikaVertzonis
Esri Regular Contributor
I suspect the installation failure your experiencing, is related to the amount of available memory at the time of install (hence why a hard reset appears to 'magically' work). When you install ArcPad (or any other application) you need enough memory for: a) the installation cab to be copied to the device (temporarly), b) the contents for the cab to be 'unpacked' and then, c) the actual application files to be stored onto the device (then the temporary files removed). Any other applications and data on the device effectively crowds out this needed space.

During ArcPad 10 testing I installed and uninstalled arcpad on Trimble Geo's many many times successfully. The 'problem' hasnt been 'fixed', because there has not been a specific problem identified (yet!).

Regards, Marika
0 Kudos
RobertMark
New Contributor
Memory is not the problem. There was lots of free memory. The problem appears to be the inability to remove older versions of ArcPad. The problem is known to the support staff of the Trimble vendor, and it appears, to the ESRI support staff. It also occurred with the upgrade from ArcPad 7 to 8, so it should have been fixed by now.
0 Kudos
CarlBeyerhelm
Occasional Contributor
Whenever I upgrade, I copy my data folders to an SD card and then reset the device back to factory defaults...essentially re-imaging the device back to its original factory state.  Yes, it takes about 15 - 20 minutes to reload my device applications, but I'm always insured of a clean install.
0 Kudos
RobSchwarz
New Contributor
I WAS HAVING THE SAME ISSUE. i WENT THROUGH THE FILE EXPLORER AND DELETED ALL THE NON FACTORY DATA (DATA THAT OUR DEPARTMENT HAD ADDED TO THE DEVICE) AND THERE THEN WAS ENOUGH ROOM TO INSTALL ARCPAD 7.0.1
0 Kudos