Select to view content in your preferred language

???Add feature service URL to AXF??? has an error,

06-22-2014 11:11 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

�??Add feature service URL to AXF�?� has an error,

According to the blog below, to be able to edit a service from the ArcPad, a number of steps are followed
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2013/09/22/feature-service-sync-in-arcpad-10-2/

1. The data is exported as AXF file

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34800[/ATTACH]

2. The data is published with �??feature access�?� capability

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34801[/ATTACH]

3. The lyr file is created for the service

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34802[/ATTACH]

4. The �??Add feature service URL to AXF�?� is applied where an error is introduced

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34803[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue here?

5. Now, the apm file or axf file is added to ArcPad to start editing. Edits are supposed to be transferred to the database when synchronizing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34804[/ATTACH]

What�??s wrong in this approach?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jdiayer

When using Get Data for Arcpad, I have not had any luck synching background axf data.  I have had great success using "Checkout for disconnected editing" and data based on defined extent.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
When using Get Data for Arcpad, I have not had any luck synching background axf data.  I have had great success using "Checkout for disconnected editing" and data based on defined extent.

Thanks Matt,

The issue here is how to edit the data while working in the field without the need to check out and then synchronize when getting back to office.

The is the power of the ArcPad. I guess.
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jdiayer

Try it out(check out data).  I never check data back in, as it is linked to the feature service.  I actually use a local FGDB to create my AXF files, and once I link it to the feature service, all data is synced with my exterprise geodatabase not the FGDB.

It is all synced via the arcpad sync button.  I copy the AXF file to multiple handhelds, and all users are able to work with it for the field season. 

Some other things I have found...

I use vbscript to handle syncing of multiple axf files, so that I can sync data in different axf files(just by removing other axf files from the map and syncing data in the axf file I want and reloading the other axf files back in). 

1) I find that too many layers in one AXF is problematic.  So I use no more than 4 or 5 per axf file

2) I use shapefiles for all of my basedata, keeping them separate from operation data.

3) Large amounts of records may cause the sync to fail.  If you are copying over 10000 new features down it may fail so I try to use definition queries in my feature services to limit the data.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Try it out(check out data).  I never check data back in, as it is linked to the feature service.  I actually use a local FGDB to create my AXF files, and once I link it to the feature service, all data is synced with my exterprise geodatabase not the FGDB.

It is all synced via the arcpad sync button.  I copy the AXF file to multiple handhelds, and all users are able to work with it for the field season. 

Some other things I have found...

I use vbscript to handle syncing of multiple axf files, so that I can sync data in different axf files(just by removing other axf files from the map and syncing data in the axf file I want and reloading the other axf files back in). 

1) I find that too many layers in one AXF is problematic.  So I use no more than 4 or 5 per axf file

2) I use shapefiles for all of my basedata, keeping them separate from operation data.

3) Large amounts of records may cause the sync to fail.  If you are copying over 10000 new features down it may fail so I try to use definition queries in my feature services to limit the data.

Thank you very much Matt for the prompt help,

It is very common that we edit feature service via web mapping applications such as ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight, ArcGIS Viewer for Flex or Geocortex viewer for Silverlight, Geocortex viewer for HTML. The issue with these applications is that they are not connected with GPS and thus they don�??t provide tool to first recognize a location and then to digitize (capture) it. The advantage here is that feature services can be easily edited.

The ArcPad should bridge this gab! It should accept adding a feature service and edit it, in addition to, of course, the ability to detect the current location and then to capture it as point, line or polygon.

Till now, I have no idea how the ArcPad can consume feature services published by the ArcGIS Server such that these feature services can be edited directly in the field while edits are transferred right away to the enterprise geodatabase (SQL).

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos