Select to view content in your preferred language

???Add feature service URL to AXF??? has an error,

06-22-2014 11:11 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

�??Add feature service URL to AXF�?� has an error,

According to the blog below, to be able to edit a service from the ArcPad, a number of steps are followed
http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2013/09/22/feature-service-sync-in-arcpad-10-2/

1. The data is exported as AXF file

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34800[/ATTACH]

2. The data is published with �??feature access�?� capability

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34801[/ATTACH]

3. The lyr file is created for the service

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34802[/ATTACH]

4. The �??Add feature service URL to AXF�?� is applied where an error is introduced

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34803[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue here?

5. Now, the apm file or axf file is added to ArcPad to start editing. Edits are supposed to be transferred to the database when synchronizing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34804[/ATTACH]

What�??s wrong in this approach?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
Tags (4)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
MattAyer
New Contributor III
Try renaming the layer file created to have only one period.  I recall having issues with that earlier.  In your screenshot I see two.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Jamal432@gmail.com

Try renaming the layer file created to have only one period.  I recall having issues with that earlier.  In your screenshot I see two.

Thanks Matt,

Now the name of the lyr file is simple (not dots), nevertheless, the error is still there as shown in the screeshot below

What other issues should I consider?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34854[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
MattAyer
New Contributor III
Try to recreate the feature service layer, and rename it at that point in the wizard.  Did you right click on the feature service in catalog and click create feature service layer?  Another issue I had was with edit templates.  Before creating the feature service I had to start editing with the feature class in Arcmap and open the create features window.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: rastrauch

Hi Jamal,

If you are still having issues, check to make sure the v3.1 of the "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition" is installed. It should be located in c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.1

When I installed 10.2 on a clean (ArcPad not previously installed) machine, it did not install v3.1.  If it is missing, you can either copy the folder over from another machine (have not tested) or install an older version of arcPad (10.0) and the put 10.2.2 back on.

I am not using AXF so not sure it it related, but if did elimated another related issue (annoying pop-up on start-up).
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Hi Jamal,

If you are still having issues, check to make sure the v3.1 of the "Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition" is installed. It should be located in c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.1

When I installed 10.2 on a clean (ArcPad not previously installed) machine, it did not install v3.1.  If it is missing, you can either copy the folder over from another machine (have not tested) or install an older version of arcPad (10.0) and the put 10.2.2 back on.

I am not using AXF so not sure it it related, but if did elimated another related issue (annoying pop-up on start-up).

Thank you Matt and Rebecca for the help,

I got confused with the term �??feature service layer�?�.

1. My enterprise (SQL) geodatabase feature class layer is saved in mxd

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34883[/ATTACH]

2. This mxd is published with the �??feature access capability

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34884[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]34885[/ATTACH]

3. As I right click the service, there is no option to create �??feature service layer�?�

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34886[/ATTACH]

Am I in the right direction?

Sure I have the v3.1 folder installed in the location below
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition\v3.1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34887[/ATTACH]
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: hanidraidi

Jamal,

You have to create a layer from Feature Service not Map Service, you can access feature service by signing in to Arcgis Server as USER not Admin, then you can create a layer from it and use it as input for "Add feature service URL to AXF tool". This is shown below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34904[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34905[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34906[/ATTACH]

After doing this the "Synchronize data with ArcGIS Server" will be available. But, I have a problem with it; when I start synchronizing the error in the below thread appears!

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/114031-Error-with-synchonize-data-with-ArcGIS-Server
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,

You have to create a layer from Feature Service not Map Service, you can access feature service by signing in to Arcgis Server as USER not Admin, then you can create a layer from it and use it as input for "Add feature service URL to AXF tool". This is shown below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34904[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34905[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34906[/ATTACH]

After doing this the "Synchronize data with ArcGIS Server" will be available. But, I have a problem with it; when I start synchronizing the error in the below thread appears!

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/114031-Error-with-synchonize-data-with-ArcGIS-Server

Hi Hani,

The �??create layer�?� option is still valid even in case you are admin. See the screenshots below

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34920[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]34921[/ATTACH]

The issue here how to create �??feature service layer�?� but not �??create layer�?�!

See how using this *.lyr introduces the error below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34922[/ATTACH]
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: jdiayer

As Hani mentioned you have to use a user connection not an admin connection.  You are creating a map service layer not a feature service layer when you use the admin connection.  Try the user connection to your arcgis server and then you can pick the feature service.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
As Hani mentioned you have to use a user connection not an admin connection.  You are creating a map service layer not a feature service layer when you use the admin connection.  Try the user connection to your arcgis server and then you can pick the feature service.

Hi Matt,

It works fine now if the ArcGIS server is logged by user connection (as Hani already indicated). That�??s strange!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34939[/ATTACH]

However, the rest of the issue is still unresolved.

1. The AXF file is added to the ArcPad with the �??add layer�?� tool

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34940[/ATTACH]

2. The features are edited and saved

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34941[/ATTACH]

3. The �??synchronize data with ArcGIS Server�?� tool is kept disabled!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34942[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue here?
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos