Which Visual Studio edition for ArcGIS 10 development?

07-15-2010 06:39 AM
CharlieRichman
New Contributor
At release both VS 2008 and VS 2010 are supported platforms. 

We're starting a new project and trying to decide if this is the time to jump to VS 2010.  Can anyone share experience with the two platforms? 

Both do what we need to do, but I'm wondering if I'll kick myself 3 years from now for beginning new work with an older set of development tools.  (I'm also wondering if I'll kick myself sooner for using development tools that don't yet have their first service pack...)

Charlie Richman
0 Kudos
15 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
... and 10.1 is supported only vs2010 (there is support for framework 4.0)

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgisdesktop/archive/2011/02/04/Visual-Studio-Suport.aspx
0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III
... and 10.1 is supported only vs2010 (there is support for framework 4.0)

http://blogs.esri.com/Dev/blogs/arcgisdesktop/archive/2011/02/04/Visual-Studio-Suport.aspx

that is the correct answer!
Arc 10 (sp1) VS2010, VS 2008 and VS Express 2008 - all 3.5 Framework.
with ArcGIS 10.1 - 4.00 framework and VS2010
0 Kudos
MajidAlivand
New Contributor
Hi, I want to use the Visual Studio 2010 express edition (which is free) for developing ArcGIS 10.0 Desktop. But, i couldn't find ArcGIS tab at installed templates of New Project.

Does anyone experienced this problem? Because i read at the Esri help that ArcGIS 10.0 is compatible with VS 2010 Express.

Please, help me about this
0 Kudos
JeffreyHamblin
New Contributor III
To use Visual Studio Express Edition with ArcGIS 10.0, you must use Visual Studio 2008.
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
To use Visual Studio Express Edition with ArcGIS 10.0, you must use Visual Studio 2008.

Why?

More specifically, what does not work if you do this?

I'll guess and say that the project templates and other Visual Studio add-in extras like snippets do not work.  If that is the case then Visual Studio can still be used because I do not use this stuff.
0 Kudos
JeffreyHamblin
New Contributor III
The ArcObjects SDK for the Microsoft .NET Framework installer for ArcGIS 10.0 does not recognize the Express Edition of Visual Studio 2010, so it does not install the templates and snippets.

Add-In development would be a pain without the templates. But I imagine if you manually added the proper references, classes, configs and settings one could get Express 2010 to work. In fact, I was planning to work on that, but haven't found the time...
0 Kudos