Upgrading Add-In solution files from Visual Studio 2013 to Visual Studio 2017

224
1
07-31-2020 12:07 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi All,

I just upgraded my ArcGIS Desktop from 10.3.1 to 10.6 and my Visual Studio from 2013 to 2017. I have many Add-In projects that were created with Visual Studio 2013 and targeting ArcMap 10.3. For some reasons I am still continuing developing some of those Add-in projects I have, and now I have a problem on making my solutions run on this new environment.

These are what I have done when opening the VS solution on the new VS 2017:

1. Changed the reference of the ESRI dlls (eg: ESRI.ArcGIS.Carto, ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase, etc).

2. From the Project's properties, I changed the "Target framework" to .NET Framework 4.5.

3. From the Project's properties, I changed the "Start external program" path to point the new path of ArcMap 10.6.

4. I ran the solution from Visual Studio 2017, it successfully opened the ArcMap 10.6 automatically, but the Add-In does not exist in the ArcMap's "Add-In Manager". Thus I cannot see my add-in's buttons / toolbar.

Is there any ideas what should I do to fix this? Looking forward to your advise.

Regards,

Marvin

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Ok, I am answering my own question. I successfully made it worked. This article helped me: Problem: Unable to generate add-ins when migrating from older to newer versions of Visual Studio use... , even though it only mentioned until Visual Studio 2015. So this is the full steps I did when I opened my old solution from Visual Studio 2013, on Visual Studio 2017:

1. Changed the reference of the ESRI dlls (eg: ESRI.ArcGIS.Carto, ESRI.ArcGIS.Geodatabase, etc).

2. From the Project's properties, I changed the "Target framework" to .NET Framework 4.5.

3. From the Project's properties, I changed the "Start external program" path to point the new path of ArcMap 10.6.

4. Unloaded the project, edited the .vbproj file (if it is VB project), changed the <AddInTargetVersion> to 10.6, changed ESRI.ArcGIS.AddIns.11.targets to ESRI.ArcGIS.AddIns.targets.

5. Reloaded the project, ran the solution from the VS 2017. 

0 Kudos