I created several AddIns tools and put them in a toolbar. It is on a shared network drive. It works ok on my dev and test pc. However when I put on user's pc the new version did not load. I tried all kinds of fix and none of them worked. Here is what I have tried:
1. delete it from
2. Delete normal template.
3. remove the shared drive and reboot the pc.
I am using ArcGIS 10.0
Hello Yinghong Li,
What I would do is go into ArcMap and make sure that they do not have the addin listed as installed in the Add-In manager.
The next step that I would do is also make sure that the folder that is loading the add-ins is the correct network folder.
I hope this helps!