Sharing Add-ins (Network)

06-30-2011 04:58 AM
FaizanTayyab
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

I wanted to know if it was possible to programmatically add additional add-in folders (network path) in the Add-In Manager dialog box. Hence the end user doesn't need to do it. This should also enable the developer to provide later version of the add-in without need to re-send the new add-in file.

Is this possible.

Thanks
0 Kudos
6 Replies
JeffreyHamblin
New Contributor III
There is a config file that stores this information. You can add paths to it. See this thread for more information on the subject:
http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/29948-SHARED-PATH-on-Addin-ESRI

Even though it is not the same exact topic, it tells you where the AddInFoldersList.xml file is found, and may provide you with some other useful information on network paths.
0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III
Hi,

I wanted to know if it was possible to programmatically add additional add-in folders (network path) in the Add-In Manager dialog box. Hence the end user doesn't need to do it. This should also enable the developer to provide later version of the add-in without need to re-send the new add-in file.

Is this possible.

Thanks

Sure it possible..
How we run it all here.
Went further and wrote an exe as an ADDIN installer... one click program modifying that xml for the user as well as enabling OFFLINE server folder path for caching, the user doesn't have to do a thing.

Remember, using a network path, the second the network is unavailable.. alll the tools are deleted from the users machine... and is NOT restored either!.. as the network path in the xml or seen by the user under addins-manager (options) is automatically removed.
So caching is a must... e.g. Offline for windows 7.

its great though, everyone has the deployed addins, even our custom Patch and Service pack updater to keep everyone up to date automatically... any changes made, is made through the restricted write server folder... everyone gets the new update instantly.

Pending on the OS being used...
windows 7 has the AddinFoldersList.xml stored under USERS >> [USER] >> AppData >> Local >> ESRI >> Desktop10.0..
and all the assemblies from the addinx file land under the assembly directory (a protected operating system file) and then under their corresponding UID as their folder name.  So to see this folder, you must UN-CHECK Hide Protected Operating System Files, Its not a 'Hidden Folder'.

Then you see your UID folder..
e.g. \AssemblyCache\{ABCB2AE5-4AA6-67AE-052A-DC8126BAB0AA}
And then its just your normal dll (toolset or extension etc..) with the corresponding files like the good old days of COM and packaging as an MSI. (but not registered in the Registry this way...)

Pass and embed anything over to the local machine as well would end up in this folder, nice and convenient to access.
0 Kudos
FaizanTayyab
Occasional Contributor
Thanks guys.

Although i havent been able to locate the AddinFoldersList.xml. I am using Windows XP. Any ideas where i can locate the file on XP.
0 Kudos
JeffreyHamblin
New Contributor III
On XP, I'm not positive, but it's somewhere like:
  \Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.0

If not, try a file search for AddinFoldersList.xml with options set to search in system and hidden folders.
0 Kudos
MichaelRobb
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks guys.

Although i havent been able to locate the AddinFoldersList.xml. I am using Windows XP. Any ideas where i can locate the file on XP.

For windows XP the xml is located here:

"C:\Documents and Settings\" & Environment.UserName & "\Local Settings\Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.0\AddinFoldersList.xml"
0 Kudos
FaizanTayyab
Occasional Contributor
For windows XP the xml is located here:

"C:\Documents and Settings\" & Environment.UserName & "\Local Settings\Application Data\ESRI\Desktop10.0\AddinFoldersList.xml"

Hi Mike,

I need some clarification on how you impelmented the solution. I have been looking into offline files and understood how they work (while testing on a txt file). Although i am still confused on how to make it work in ArcGIS addin case, because once network is restored, the local file is not synchronized automatically and needs to be synchronized manually. How did get around this? Can you please also explain your architecture for this to work(when you mention things like write server folder). Also all cached files exist in offline folder did you point Addin manager to look into that?

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Faizan
0 Kudos