Remove duplicate symbols from UniqueValueRenderer

08-19-2020 12:26 PM
SukhjitPal
New Contributor

I have a feature layer with 500 unique values in the UniqueValueRenderer. It's supposed to only have 2 because 499 of them are identical. How do I programmatically remove duplicate symbols from the renderer?

More details:

I have a Graphics Layer that I want converted to Feature Layer. The new feature layer needs a UniqueValueRenderer.

My graphics layer for example has 499 identical symbols and one other symbol. I need a UVR that will have only 2 values +  DefaultSymbol

Right now, I have successfully created the desired feature layer out of the graphics layer, but I see 500 Symbols in the TOC control, which I had no choice but to add add to the UVR. 

As I am adding new values to the UVR while going through the graphics container of the graphics layer, I tried checking that specific symbol already exists in the UVR, but it kept coming back saying I don't even though I know for a fact it does. I can see in the debugger that coming in symbol's characterists are identical to the one that already exists in UVR but the .Equals always came back False. So, yes, I ended up makeing 500 unique values when I only wanted (should've needed) 2.

Sample Code:

IElement element = graphicsLayerGC.Next();

ILineSymbol passedInSymbol =  (element as ILineElement).Symbol;  

string rendVal = UVRend.Value[0];
ILineSymbol rendSymbol = UVRend.Symbol[rendVal] as ILineSymbol;

//find out if duplicate

if(passedInSymbol.Equals(rendSymbol))

{

//This statement should be true, but never is.

}

I am only able to see if passedInSymbol's and rendSymbol's characteristics are identical while using "Watch" during debugging.

If I hover on these two while debugging all I can see is this for both. I wanted to see things like Color, Width, etc.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DuncanHornby
MVP Notable Contributor

Can you edit your question and show us what you mean because what you say makes no sense. If you have rendered 500 unique values then how can you have 2, you must have 500?

0 Kudos