Programming with ArcObjects 10 in Delphi XE

10-08-2010 09:35 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I am working on my latest how-do document for the Delphi community entitled "Programming with ArcObjects 10 in Delphi XE."  This document will replace the "Programming ArcObjects 9.3 in Delphi 7, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2009." that I first posted on ArcScripts years ago when I only covered 7.  Since my last update, it has received over 2000 downloads (ArcScripts starts the download count over at 0 when you upload an updated attachment of files).

As I was writing this latest instruction sheet, I came across a problem with the COM Object Wizard crashing.  I reported this to Embarcadero's Quality Central as report # 88763.  Have any of you been able to use that dialog successfully in XE?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TOPOGRAPHICS
New Contributor II
Hello,

did you complete the document "Programming with ArcObjects 10 in Delphi XE" ? Is it available somewhere?

Greetings from Germany,

Stefan Löhr
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I never did finish that document, as Delphi XE had SEVERE bugs in the IDE regarding COM and ActiveX.  For instance, the "New COM Object" dialog box crashed every time when choosing an existing interface to implement, even if it wasn't an ESRI interface.  I logged those kinds of bugs into Quality Central.  They were never fixed for that version.

Delphi XE2 has fixed a lot of those bugs, but introduced another major one which I also logged to Quality Central (QC# 104063).  I'm hoping they fix that in a Hotfix or Service Pack or Update or SOMEthing, because I hate having to keep my ActiveX projects in older versions of Delphi.  FYI: Delphi 2007 was the last version that worked with COM and ActiveX components really well.

So, please don't blame me 🙂 for not having written those documents--it's Embarcadero's fault that their products don't work correctly and they don't fix the QC bugs I report to them.  Personally, I hate the whole Quality Central experience, where bugs only go up in priority if other users rate them and/or vote for them.  I write re-createable steps, I often submit code, etc. and I don't feel they care about the bugs.  I love Delphi, but I really dislike how they'll add new features and then break things that used to work.  Then when we report the bugs, it seems they only care about the bugs in the new features.  This is just an opinion based on observations of my own QC submissions.  I could go on about the problems I've reported with TClientDataSet, but this is not the time nor the place.

When I do make another document, I'll post it to one of ESRI's sites and forums.
0 Kudos