My question is what does the tool ESRIRegAsm.exe do?
We have made a custom made Extension. On clean systems the extention works without a problem.
The dll is registered to ArcGIS 10.6 on a Windows 10, 64 bit enviroment with the following command:
%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\ArcGIS\bin\ESRIRegAsm.exe extention.dll /p:Desktop
On systems of some customers, with management software the extention is not visable in the extension menu but still you can find the specific extension in the toolbar menu (under Customize).
There are no errors on the registartion, if checkt with Categories.exe the extention looks like it is activate, but still not visable in ArcGIS 10.6
I think some of the parts are blocked by either the management software or the virusscanner on their system.
In order to furter investigate the matter I need t know what and where is registered with ESRIRegASM.
Any help preciated.
Here's a good summary I copied from this link:
At version 10, ArcGIS no longer reads the system registry to load custom components. Components registered into categories using RegSvr32.exe (for native code) and RegAsm.exe (for managed code), or by using any other means of registration (such as using .reg files), will no longer be loaded by ArcGIS. Instead, developers should use ESRIRegAsm.exe to register their components. This utility handles the registration of the .dll and the category information by creating a configuration file (.ecfg). The configuration file is read by an ArcGIS application at runtime to load custom components. This configuration must reside in the appropriate product and version configuration folder. For example, ArcGIS 10 Desktop customizations reside in the following location:
If you're curious about the contents of the .ecfg file, make a copy of the file and rename the extension .zip. It contains an XML file with the registry information needed to discover your extension.
As for your problem, try adding /v 10.6 to your Esriregasm.exe call:
%CommonProgramFiles(x86)%\ArcGIS\bin\ESRIRegAsm.exe extention.dll /p Desktop /v 10.6
Thank you for your response.
I've found the problem.
In the %CommonProgramFiles%\ArcGIS\Desktop10.6\Configuration\CATID folder there where more extension, removing them all and then reregister my custom extention did the trick.