New to programming and want to learn how...

11-16-2010 04:39 AM
AndreGirard
New Contributor
How's it goin?
Looking for any resource that would help me learn how to programme using esri.
I know there's a few different languages to programme with, which one would be the logical choice to learn since i know that VB is being dumped by microsoft (i believe i read that correctly)

If anyone if willing to give me any help or can point me anywhere on the web that offers good material to learn, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Andre
0 Kudos
3 Replies
AndreGirard
New Contributor
25 posts and counting and nobody can help...
guess this was the wrong forum to post in..

I'll try and find some help somewhere else...
0 Kudos
JeffreyHamblin
New Contributor III
VB isn't being dumped, but VBA is.

There are many languages from which to choose, including C#, VB.net, C++, and Java. I would say pick one from there and install the appropriate ArcObjects SDK.

If you choose one of the .net languages, an easy place to start is with Add-ins. There is lots of information and samples to get you going here:
http://help.arcgis.com/en/sdk/10.0/arcobjects_net/conceptualhelp/index.html

Good luck!

-Jeff
0 Kudos
FrankPerks
New Contributor II
If your new to programming i suggest you look into esri's python libraries: arcpy(ArcGIS 10) or geoprocessor(Pre 10). Python is pretty easy to get into, and ESRI's python libraries are much more user friendly than ArcObjects.

For programming with ArcObjects(ESRI's API), the two best documented languages are C# and VB.net. There is also Java and C++.

If you really are new to programming and need to work with ArcGIS i suggest you stick with Python (python hangs out in the Geoprocessing forum).
0 Kudos