Multiple ArcObjects SDK Versions

Jump to solution
06-04-2013 10:08 AM
MichaelHenderson
New Contributor
Is it possible to have multiple SDK versions on the same machine?

I have a development machine with Visual Studio 2010 & 2012 installed. I need to keep both for now so I can build some extensions that will support ArcGis 10. I would also like to set-up and start developing with VS 2012 when support is available.

So is this possible? And if it is, are the many gotchas?

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I do not believe that you can install multiple versions of the ArcObjects SDK.  Back when version 10 was called 9.4, ESRI made an attempt to support side by side installations but aborted that effort.

That said, you can (and I do) have both Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 installed.  When you install the ArcObjects SDK it will allow you to integrate with whatever versions of Visual Studio that it supports.  There is only a single installation of the ArcObjects SDK.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
I do not believe that you can install multiple versions of the ArcObjects SDK.  Back when version 10 was called 9.4, ESRI made an attempt to support side by side installations but aborted that effort.

That said, you can (and I do) have both Visual Studio 2010 and 2012 installed.  When you install the ArcObjects SDK it will allow you to integrate with whatever versions of Visual Studio that it supports.  There is only a single installation of the ArcObjects SDK.
0 Kudos
MichaelHenderson
New Contributor
I thought maybe this was the case. I know I can't have side by side installations of ArcMap, but was hoping I could have side by side SDKs.

I maintain an extension where I need to be compatible with 10.0, which needs VS 2010. Ideally I would like to have one installation of Visual Studio, and support the extensions I need to support.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
FWIW, we use virtual machines for this very reason.
0 Kudos
MichaelHenderson
New Contributor
I think that's where I am headed.
0 Kudos