Issue in Importing shape file data into into Oracle geodatabase using sde connection

11-08-2017 06:26 AM
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

Hello all,

We are using arcsde connect string to insert data from shape files into Oracle geodatabase using direct connection strings.

Everything seemed well with test data. When full data set was used to import into oracle, after inserting few thousand records application/script silently dies without throwing any error. It only happens in that environment using sde connections.

Could someone help in this scenario. It is very straight forward where we use feature cursors to read from shape files and insert data.

Regards,

Umasurya

https://community.esri.com/community/gis/managing-data?sr=search&searchId=67836751-85bf-4434-9361-c3...https://community.esri.com/groups/geodatabase?sr=search&searchId=bc31c01f-baa5-40d5-aaa8-ca12052c18a...

0 Kudos
32 Replies
rgomes
by
New Contributor III

I don't know problems regarding Oracle using VM. But, I have a standalone code to import data too, created at the version 10.2 that just only works if run in compatibility mode. It's very similar problem. Have you tried to run using compatibility mode at the client side?

0 Kudos
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

In my case, it is all with 10.1. Do I still need to run using compatibility mode. It only fails after many shape files import

0 Kudos
rgomes
by
New Contributor III

I have another Idea .... you can call a python function inside your code like a standalone code just to import the shapefiles.
Using python may be better in this case.
See the link below (is for the most recent arcgis version but I did the same thing in the previous versions).
http://desktop.arcgis.com/en/arcobjects/latest/net/webframe.htm#aecfa7f0-ac98-4a1c-ae36-f012211efb3c... 

So you can create a Python to import data and call like a command line to execute the import process.

Can you try to do this?

umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II
  1. Thank you. I am trying python option and get back to you how the result appears.
0 Kudos
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

Hi Rafael, This is not even good.

After 885 files(24 folders) got imported, it shows below message(***RESTART****) and leaves the execution.

0 Kudos
TinaMorgan1
Occasional Contributor II

Have you taken an Oracle level 12 trace?  This can help us see exactly what calls are being sent to and from the database when the failure occurs.  

After you see the failure, do you see ANY data that was imported?  

How many shapefiles are being imported?  If it is more than one, can you add a print statement in your code so you can monitor which files the code is able to parse through?

Here is the python for Feature Class to Feature class (conversion tools)

import arcpy arcpy.env.workspace = "C:/data/GreenvalleyDB.mdb/Public Buildings" arcpy.FeatureClassToFeatureClass_conversion("buildings_point", "C:/output/output.gdb", "buildings_point")

Feature Class To Feature Class—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

0 Kudos
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

We checked on the trace and nothing unusual appears. It just logged the sequential operations.  

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

ArcGIS 10.1 is rather old. Have you applied the SP1 service pack and a score or more of patches?  

What exact version of Oracle are you using?  Is it listed as supported by 10.1sp1?

Back when it was current, I used 10.1sp1 to load ten and hundreds of millions of features at one time (680m being the most). I must admit it's easier to do so now at 10.5.1, but there's no obvious reason why you should be having this issue. I suspect it's going to come down to a bizarre IT issue, like a router or firewall limiting traffic, or an antivirus app freaking out in some way.

- V

0 Kudos
umasuryasykam1
New Contributor II

Thank you for the suggestion on version and reviewing the version changes or contemplating on a different source data format so we do not need to rely on any API. But I am afraid to say how it is important which version the software is for completing the simple importing of data from shape file workspace into arcsde with Oracle.

It was working in local servers. But this occurs in data center environment and no way to trace any error.

ArcGIS version is 10.1

Oracle version is 11g.

0 Kudos
VinceAngelo
Esri Esteemed Contributor

The *EXACT* version of Oracle goes out to five places (11.a.b.c.d). 

Given the extreme age of ArcGIS 10.1, it is extremely risky to not have installed at least Service Pack 1.  There are dozens of patches on top of SP1, and they ALL should be applied before reporting uncommon behavior.

- V