My current environment is ArcGIS 9.3.1 SP1, ArcPad 10.0.2, and python 2.5.
My test ArcPad project is from a new, clean mxd that has one shapefile attached to it with one feature in it which has 5 fields (FID, Shape*, OBJECTID, THENAMEE, and SHAPE_Leng). The mxd and shapefile is stored locally at c:\temp (simple path)
I use the ArcPad Data Manager Configure Project for Geoprocessing tool (i've tried all the various settings) and set it to output to c:\temp\out.
I create a Model and drag the Process ArcPad Project tool to it. I direct the tool to use the test mxd. I can run it and validate it multiple times with no errors. The output is good.
I export the model to python script: import sys, string, os, arcgisscripting gp = arcgisscripting.create(9.3) # i have added the 9.3 but have tried it empty as well gp.AddToolbox("C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/ArcToolbox/Toolboxes/ArcPad Tools.tbx") The_full_path_to_the_cab_file = "" TEST_mxd = "C:\\temp\\test.mxd" gp.ProcessArcPadProject_ArcPad(TEST_mxd, "true")
This script never works: arcgisscripting.ExecuteError: ERROR 999998: There are no more files. Failed to execute (ProcessArcPadProject).
Sometimes the output looks complete but sometimes it does not: missing apm or other files.
I can run the model from python with success. The problem seems limited to the arcgisscripting.ProcessArcPadProject_ArcPad method or my python environment.