How long before Visual Studio 2013 support?

Jump to solution
10-21-2013 08:39 AM
JeffJacobson
Occasional Contributor III
When will Visual Studio 2013 be supported by the ArcObjects SDK?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobElkins
Esri Contributor
We have had a change of plans.  The ArcObjects SDK will not have Visual Studio 2013 support till version 10.3 (not 10.2.2). There is just too much work to support VS 2013 for a dot dot update.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
The historical pattern seems to be that ESRI does not rapidly support new versions of Visual Studio.  Of course, support for some APIs may come before others so what I am talking about is the main ArcObjects SDK.

Even today, you can build components in Visual Studio 2013 and deploy them.  What you lose is the templates and such, i.e. the feature that integrate with Visual Studio itself.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor

You should probably have a look at this ESRI video:

Unveiling the new ArcGIS Professional Application with Jim McKinney and Jack Dangermond
0 Kudos
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Marco,

Is there some clip in this video that provides the answer?

I downloaded the transcript and could not find it.

IMHO, there is going to be >huge< number of customers and developers who will not rapidly move  to ArcGIS Professional for various reasons.  I certainly hope that ESRI will continue to invest in the current 10.x line of products moving forward with Microsoft for the foreseeable future.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Marco,

Is there some clip in this video that provides the answer?

I downloaded the transcript and could not find it.

You're absolutely correct there is no direct reference to Visual Studio 2013, or 2012 for that matter, in that video... but it does show a seriously revamped ArcGIS application that is likely based on some "new" technologies.

I think the remarks by ESRI's Mike Branscomb in this post in another similar thread answers it best for the time being.
0 Kudos
MichaelEber
Occasional Contributor
I watched the entire video and there is nothing in it that answers the question.

There is Developers Part of the Conference which just talks about there "fantastic" SDK however they are constantly using VS 2010.

I suppose the answer to that question is: they have to do 2012 first!!!  🙂
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
I suppose the answer to that question is: they have to do 2012 first!!!  🙂

Please read the remarks by ESRI's Mike Branscomb I linked in my previous post here in this thread... 😉
0 Kudos
JeffJacobson
Occasional Contributor III
You're absolutely correct there is no direct reference to Visual Studio 2013, or 2012 for that matter, in that video... but it does show a seriously revamped ArcGIS application that is likely based on some "new" technologies.

I think the remarks by ESRI's Mike Branscomb in this post in another similar thread answers it best for the time being.

That post is about the ArcGIS Runtime SDK.
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
That post is about the ArcGIS Runtime SDK.

Yes, but if you look at some of the remarks of Mike Branscomb in this thread, you understand it may be relevant. Especially see posts number 3, number 7 and number 18

E.g.:

"... No, the new ArcGIS Professional Application is not currently based on the new ArcGIS Runtime SDK for .NET. ..."

BUT:

"... Yes, if you are planning to undertake the development of a new custom desktop application then you should look at the ArcGIS Runtime first. There are still some areas where it does not offer the functionality of ArcGIS Engine, such as 3D visualization, but we will be doing our best to close that gap over the next couple of releases. ..."

"... It's too early to say, but the ArcGIS Professional App might use some components of the ArcGIS Runtime - just as the current ArcGIS for Desktop already does for 64-bit Geoprocessing. ..."

"... There are currently a few areas where the ArcGIS runtime does not match ArcObjects for functionality, but over the next few releases we'll see those scenarios met by equivalent functionality in the ArcGIS runtime. Until then you may need to continue some ArcObjects-based development but for migration of existing applications and any new applications I'd always encourage you to evaluate the runtime SDKs first. ..."

Unless Mike is badly informed, it seems ArcGIS Runtime is set to slowly seep into parts of the new desktop application...
0 Kudos
RobElkins
Esri Contributor

The next release of ArcObjects SDK for .NET will be part of the ArcGIS 10.2.1 release scheduled for December.  This 10.2.1 release will support Visual Studio 2010 and 2012. 
We have not been able to get complete Visual Studio 2013 support in time for this upcoming release but we are planning to support VS 2013 in the next release after 10.2.1 which is currently number ArcGIS 10.2.2

Hope that makes sense as I know that's a lot of different version numbers to keep straight.
0 Kudos