ESRI does not read all layers of .TOC file

07-23-2010 05:26 AM
DanielParker
New Contributor
I have a TOC file that contains metadata about a raster dataset.  Within my ArcEngine application, I pass its path and filename to IRasterLayer::CreateFromFilePath() to generate the IRasterLayer object and put it on my map.  However, only part of the TOC file is drawn on the map.

Looking at the TOC file in a freeware raster map viewer (OpenEV), I can see much more of the raster map.  Apparently, there are multiple 'layers' within the TOC file, and ESRI only displays the first one.

If I add the TOC file to ArcMap (through the Add Data button), I see only the same part that was drawn through IRasterLayer::CreateFromFilePath() in my ArcEngine application.  I get similar results through looking at the TOC file in ArcCatalog.

Is this a limitation with the ESRI software?  I'd like to be able to view the entire map instead of just one section of the TOC file.  I'm using ArcGIS Desktop 9.3 and ArcEngine 9.3.1 SP1.

Thanks,

Daniel Parker
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanielParker
New Contributor
In case anyone ever has a similar problem:

http://resources.arcgis.com/content/kbase?fa=articleShow&d=36683

There are several situations where A.TOC files are not supported by ArcGIS.

1. The A.TOC file references data with different cell sizes. This occurs when parent directories of RPF data contain subfolders of data in different latitudinal zones. Each latitudinal zone has a different cell size.

2. The A.TOC file references two kinds of RPF products. For example, if an A.TOC file references both GNC and JNC CADRG products, they will not work. GNC and JNC, by specification, have different color maps to meet the needs of the intended use.

3. The A.TOC file references data with relative paths. If for any reason the data or A.TOC files are moved, the relative paths are broken.

My A.TOC file contained data with different cell sizes.  Hope this helps someone else avoid the search.
0 Kudos